performance hit from a deviated septum?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

motorthings

by motorthings

saw an ENT today who used a nose-cam on me and showed me how deviated my septum is. i have known i had this condition for awhile, and have been using breathe-right strips with pretty good effect. i have no other complications like sinus infections, or bad allergies.

i am wondering if anyone here has had septoplasty to correct a deviated septum, and if you noticed any benefit from it. it seems like being able to get more air in through my nose would make a difference, but wonder how to quantify the effect it might have.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

My doctor recommended this procedure for me as well. From what I understand, there are great benefits for me to go ahead with the surgery, but since it is something I have lived with ever since I could remember - I declined the surgery. The doctor did tell me though that I would have a much easier time getting air through my nasal passages and that the post-nasal drip I have will be practically cured.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

+1 on Lasik - Made my fishing and any physical activity involving sweat that much more bearable.

motorthings

by motorthings

thanks for the responses!

I am still on the fence, though...I have heard things like "you only use one nostril at a time", so I am not totally convinced I will see a performance increase. right now i don't have sinus troubles or bad allergies, and though it is kind of a drag when i do have a cold, that is at most once per year.

I guess I am looking for some physiological evidence that having two working nostrils is better than one, before going under the knife.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I think Contador had a similar surgery. Try the breathing strips first like Contador and see if it helps.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

bc sparks

by bc sparks

I have a severely deviated septum which causes sinus inflammation every evening and night and sinus headaches most of the time. I have to use a nasal spray decongestant and a breath right strip every night or I don't get any sleep. After very high intensity events, like cyclocross races, the sinus inflamation causes a severe reaction like allergies that can last as long as 3 days. The difference in racing with and without breathright strip and nasal spray is incredible.

My current insurance doesn't cover the surgery and it is more than I can afford. I got a new job and their insurance will kick in in a couple of months and hopefully it'll be covered, if not I'll go to Canada and get the surgery.

SW

by SW

I had a partially deviated septum and had the surgery. It helped for everyday breathing a lot...went from breathing through my mouth all the time to my nose, but I can't say it really helped ride any better. I think riding we breath almost exclusively through our mouths anyway.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

You guys are unfortunately oversimplifying a very complicated issue with many anatomic and physiologic variables. First, almost nonbody has a completely midline septum. The bony septum is tilted from midline mostly due to enlarged ipsilateral middle turbinates. So the surgery usually involves middle turbinectomies as well. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly. Sinus surgery can have its deleterious side effects if not done for the right indications. Second, nasal strips open the anterior nares not the bony mid and posterior sinus passage. If the nasal strips help stick with them! Third, if insurance does not pay for a surgical procedure (for a given clinical symptom set) there is a good reason for it. Tread lightly when it comes to any surgical procedure no matter how trivial it may seem to you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com