OIympics (2012, London) Predictions - cycling events only

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I really don’t understand the concept of you having to be slated for 2 events to ride 1, seems mad.

But no madder than the 1 rider per country in each track event. Can you imagine the farce if Jamaica could only send 1 runner to the 100m? ok, they would still probably win, but we wouldn’t necessarily see the world’s fastest man (Bolt lost the Jamaica trails to Blake so wouldn’t be running)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

yeaux

by yeaux

KWalker wrote:Sagan will attack with another rider that lacks a big team- probably Cancellara or someone of the sort. They will stay away and Sagan will sprint for the win. Sagan will then go on to win Worlds.

Dunno about the other events

Suisse has a 5 man team - would be nice to see Cancellara will the RR. Maybe Ryder or Eisel will try to attack with Sagan? Would also like to see Kam Po Wong place hihgly - that dude is like the Merckx of Asia.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

OT, but Usain Bolt is running the 100m despite the loss to his training partner back in Jamaica.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sawyer

by sawyer

Barring a crash Cavendish will win the RR.

Wiggins for the TT, though very close. Looks really interesting with FC, TM and now Froome all in contention.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

djconnel

by djconnel

bikewithnoname wrote:I really don’t understand the concept of you having to be slated for 2 events to ride 1, seems mad.

They want to limit the number of athletes to on order 10 thousand. Where would all the women's boxers stay if you allow more cyclists to be there?

denzity

by denzity

They limit the number of competitors per sporting discipline. Because BMX and MTB became olympic sports (I mean really, wtf??) they had to reduce the number of rides for track so they imposed a 1 rider limit.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Oh come on. With the WTF comment, most of the current Olympic sports would not be applicable as the original Olympics (Greece) were designed to have athletic competition and results reflect capabilities on the battle field. I don't believe any bicycles were around during that time. So therefore RR and Track should be eliminated as well. As should diving, and synchronized swimming, and basketball, and football, and field hockey, and most of our current events!

Dressage, however, is applicable as it demonstrates the strength of a horse and rider to maintain order while performing moves that would be applicable during battle.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

denzity

by denzity

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:
JamieL wrote:Can someone explain the rule that means he has to ide the road race if he wants to compete on the track? i had a look at L'Equipe but didn't get the whole picture.

A keirin rider must be lined up on another track event or any cycling event.
He could have been lined up in the team sprint, but our trio has been stable for the last 2 seasons and can fight for gold so a late change would have been crazy.

This isn't true. According to this letter on the UCI website each National Olympic Committee (NOC) can have 8 riders for the men's track plus 1 from another cycling discipline. France put Bourgain in the road team so that they could have 9 track riders in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

prendrefeu wrote:Dressage, however, is applicable as it demonstrates the strength of a horse and rider to maintain order while performing moves that would be applicable during battle.

Spot on. In fact, let's just skip the farcical charade and replace the Olympics with an open-field battle.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

denzity wrote:This isn't true. According to this letter on the UCI website each National Olympic Committee (NOC) can have 8 riders for the men's track plus 1 from another cycling discipline. France put Bourgain in the road team so that they could have 9 track riders in total.

Thanks mate. :thumbup: That makes more sense :thumbup:

Sorry for the wrong info, had read that s.w.

jooo

by jooo

Germany are(were?) doing the same, putting Robert Förstemann on the MTB list to get him into the track team...

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Froome for roadrace. Goes to 'mark' breakaway and accidentally wins. Well thought out strategy on Sky part and focus on Cavendish is bluff.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

According to Jalabert the road race will not likely come to a print and it's suited for people like Sagan.

I agree and pick Hesjedal :lol: He has no support though.

And Phinney for the TT.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

tranzformer

by tranzformer

I see some mix of Sagan, Gilbert, Cancellara and Boonen getting to the end in a small ground. Hopefully a nice mix of classic riders can battle it out from there.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Anyone but Cav please. :) I say Sagan.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com