Alternative Brake Pads for Campag Bora Ultra Two Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedComet

by RedComet

Hi folks,

Has anyone used a different set of brake pads for their Bora Ultra Two wheels, other than the one supplied by Campag?

The campag's bundled red pads are sweet looking, and doesn't discolor the rims (as opposed to SwissStop Yellow Pads). But they don't seem to brake well, and I'm hesitant to try out colored brake pads on the rims.

The upcoming SwissStop Black Prince looks like a good solution but won't be out till late this year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... I'm currently using the red Campy pads on the Bora Ultra Twos and really like them. Wouldn't switch them for anything. Previously I had a set of Reynolds DV46UL clinchers and used the Swiss Stop yellows and hated them. Very hard pads and would glaze over but the worst thing was the screech they made despite how well adjusted they were. You had to toe them in so much just to soften the screech, but never really got rid of it. I put those wheels on my girlfriends bike, tossed the Swisstops, and am now using the Reynolds blue pads which are fantastic on those rims. While softer than SwissStop yellows, they brake much better and are very quiet with no screeching whatsoever. I'd be tempted to try the Reynolds pads on the Boras but I feel the Campy Red pads are really great so haven't bothered. Prior to the reds I've had the older brown ones, then a set of the grey ones, and now red. I feel the red are the best of the bunch. Let us know how any different pads work on your Boras. Out of curiosity, what specifically do you not like about the braking performance of the Boras with the new Campy red pads? I hope you're not comparing the braking performance to a set of machined alloy rims with good pads, because carbon rims (I don't care which ones), simply don't brake as well as alloy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

But they don't seem to brake well,

Are they broken in yet?

Personally I'm using Corima's natural cork pads which whilst not providing ultimate stopping power offer a high degree of fine modulation. They're as light as can be too. :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

sawyer

by sawyer

I normally use Campag pads on Boras (still on the older full black ones, rather than the newer grey/black ones).

I've also used Reynolds blue. They work well too.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

LionelB

by LionelB

Curious to hear what you do not like as well as I am about to start using this combo in a few weeks.

Been very happy with Corima pads on various rims but not in the wet where they just plain suck.

I also had a Reynolds+blue pad combo I just sold that worked fine even though it could make some noise while braking.

sawyer

by sawyer

LionelB - I don't like anything cork. Not enough stopping power.

The campag carbon pads are hard wearing and stop great. Good match for Boras. Apparently a bit hard for Zipps on the steep and long stuff, though work fine when less stopping is needed.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

frankq

by frankq

I have used several different sets of pads with my Lightweight Standards, and I have to say the Campagnolo brake blocks (the new ones re701/2)
are fantastic, great modulation, no noise, and in the thousand miles that I have used them they wear fantastic and no weird wear or residue on brake tracks. On the other hand I burned thru a set of Lightweight Branded blocks in it seems like a month, Those Fu*kin things wear out if you look at them funny, on top of horrible wear, they were the most grabby screeching worst rim brake experience I've ever had, this is with my setup and I'm sure many users have used those pads with great results and will not use anything else. I'm just a firm believer in the new Campagnolo Brake Blocks. Frank

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 for cork pads.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Reynolds Cryo blue
Lightweight carbon pads made by Swisstop
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

aarw

by aarw

The campag pads are made specifically for carbon clinchers? No problems using them on tubs?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52662&gclid=CIG9jvmFtbECFYzbfAod3VcAug

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Maybe they say "designed specifically for carbon clincher rims" because they dissipate heat better than the previous pads, which would be great for tubulars as well but not as critical as it is for clincher carbon rims. Regardless, the new red pads are the ones supplied with new Campagnolo Bora Ultra Twos (tubular). I have no complaints with them and they are my pad of choice these days.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com