Frame? Cervelo R5 vwd - Can. Super6 Evo - Sp. Tarmac SW SL4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mon450

by mon450

After summer I might get a new frame after almost 2 years with my Time RXRS and pass on to it all of its components.

These are the pretenders. I am looking for a rigid and good climber frame.

My actual components on my Time are:

Lightweight tubular wheels
SRAM Red 2012 group
TRP 970 brakes

by 2011

Clearly you spare no expense with your bikes and enjoy having the most high-end stuff.

With that in mind, I'd probably say you'll get more satisfaction out of upgraded to a custom, one-of-a-kind frame, specifically made for you... rather than just these run-of-the-mill stock frames. If you're going to be dropping so much on a frameset, might as well have it custom built to your exact size and fit, with custom tubing and custom paint and graphics. From first hand experience, I can only suggest Parlee.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mon450

by mon450

the are no Parlee dealers where I live...

JureC29

by JureC29

My vote goes to SL4 SW, since I am getting one myself for next season. It's worth waiting for 2013, since the new paintwork is AWESOME! (Check in specialized 2013 topic on forum)

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Evo Hi-mod for sure. Get the bare carbon one or strip it and have the logos redone to your taste.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

That TIME is a beauty , I can't imagine leaving it for anything, does it lack something that the other options will give you ? Is it not very WW?

plpete

by plpete

Personally non of the mentioned frames look as good as the TIME you have now. Beautiful machine. I don't think you will tell any significant differences from upgrading this frame unless it really doesn't fit you. If the frame is the right size maybe just get a pro fit to put yourself in the most powerful and comfortable position if you have some $ burning a hole in you pocket :)

apLe

by apLe

Honestly, it's like choosing between Lambo, Ferrari and Porsche. Each is great, each has its own pros and cons. As a fan of Cervelo, I advice you to buy R5. I would consider Parlee and Simplon as well.
18' R5 coming soon...

kgt

by kgt

plpete wrote:Personally non of the mentioned frames look as good as the TIME you have now. I don't think you will tell any significant differences from upgrading this frame unless it really doesn't fit you.

+100

LouisN

by LouisN

+ many.

+ if you go for either Ca or Sp, Your bike will look boring as hell (personal opinion)...

Louis :)

PIXELLUST

by PIXELLUST

I'm pretty much a pure climber and I ride a Scott Foil. I'd personally go for a Scott Foil HMX frame, or even a BMC Impec. I also like the look of the BMC Time Machine Road (TMR01). I'm not a weight weenie though and I understand that weight is one of your main considerations - I'd say the Scott is a frame you should consider nonetheless.

by 2011

Leave this thread up long enough, and you'll eventually get everybody recommending pretty much every single high-end frame available.

Most the people that will suggest X frame over Y frame, and just giving you their personal opinion also, and have no first hand experience owning/riding the bike. So, you might as well just get what YOU like the most.

spartan

by spartan

if you are a fashion weenie keep the TIME.

here is a comparison test of all the frames you are considering buying.

http://www.roadbike.de/test/bikes/im-ro ... 5636.9.htm
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

skinnyankles

by skinnyankles

2011 wrote:So, you might as well just get what YOU like the most.

+1
Buy whatever that rocks your boat. You don't have to be a people pleaser, at the end of the day it's your a*s that's on the saddle.
Heck, buy them all if you can afford it. :thumbup:

refthimos

by refthimos

2011 wrote:Leave this thread up long enough, and you'll eventually get everybody recommending pretty much every single high-end frame available.

Most the people that will suggest X frame over Y frame, and just giving you their personal opinion also, and have no first hand experience owning/riding the bike. So, you might as well just get what YOU like the most.

Agreed. It's unlikely that you will find anyone who has ridden all three frames you are considering, and even if you did, that would just be one person's opinion, and we all know that one bike that is loved by one rider is not necessarily going be be loved by another rider.

I have the R5 VWD and think it is a truly amazing frame - stiff as hell where it needs to be, maintains comfort for the long haul, crisp handling but also very stable at speed and a breeze no-handed, light as just about any WW would demand, and (I have saved the best for last) descends like no other bike I have ridden - this frame it truly confidence inspiring. Slap on a pair of low-profile wheels (I run Zipp 101s for training) and 25's (I run GP4000S) and it's an unfair advantage on the descents.

On relatively flat solo rides or breakaway efforts it's not as slippery as an aero frame, but that's about it's only downside IMHO. Of course, I haven't ridden the other frames, so perhaps I would be even more impressed with them if given the chance to ride them.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com