cool way to protect bald scalp from sun

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

taina

by taina

Does anyone have recommendations on the best way to protect a bald scalp from the sun? When I wear a cap underneath the helmet, my sunglasses fog on climbs on hot days. Skin cancer concerns aside, sunburned patches patterned like helmet vents are cosmetically undesirable.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

Huge

by Huge

/End thread

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Or get a piece, just for riding if that's what you want. Since this is WW, make the hair short in order to save weight.

cmh

by cmh

Headsweats works for me. :noidea:

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Move to the UK, you'd only have to worry about burning your bonce about 3 days a year! :lol:
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

HillRPete

by HillRPete

As my hair is getting thinner over the years I would love to have a cycling cap made of super thin fabric, to wear under the helmet. Unfortunately all I've got are cotton.

Castelli has a skullcap for hot days, but I never tried it. http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/480/

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/480/ wrote:Mesh on the top allows for lots of airflow,
The product description doesn't state how effectively it protects against the sun. "Mesh" sounds suspicious regarding the amount of protection.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

One of these?

:noidea:

:hmm: :waving: :twisted:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

wingguy

by wingguy

Mavic and others have light summer underhelmet caps, similar to UV protective sunsleeves. Rudy Project helmets have a mesh underneath the helmet vents which may (or may not) help protect :noidea:

jdp211

by jdp211

wassertreter wrote:As my hair is getting thinner over the years I would love to have a cycling cap made of super thin fabric, to wear under the helmet. Unfortunately all I've got are cotton.

Castelli has a skullcap for hot days, but I never tried it. http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/480/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rapha makes a super lightweight cap for extra hot days, but I have yet to try it.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Being follicly challenged, I have tried a number of these. The castelli beanie is very nice and pretty cool, but the all time best one is the Assos Robofoil. Very breathable and light.

beardking

by beardking

HTC-Highroad rider Danny Pate says he taped up some of the vents on his helmet not so much to defend against the cold but rather to protect from sunburn.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Speedplay is the devil!

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Another Headsweats user here, and not because I have a bare scalp (buzz cut in my case).

I find the Headsweats keeps sweat out of my eyes, and also prevents the pads in my helmet from becoming completely soaked and dripping at the end of a ride.
Last edited by sanrensho on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

+1 on the sweatstopper skullcap. I am not bald, but definitely thinning. I find this thing does a great job of keeping the sun off and also works well to keep sweat out of my eyes. I don't feel noticeably warmer when wearing it... not matter how warm the temperature.