Vittoria Corsa Evo CX or Continental Competition Tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

After weighing all the pros and cons, I've finally decided to purchase a set of carbon tubular wheels.

Looking for some advice on a set of tubular tires.

I'm looking for a tire that is durable and fast and after some research have narrowed it down to these two.

Sorry if a similar thread is already up, but I didn't see one that compared these two specifically.

Thanks !

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Corsa Evo CX: nicer ride, less durable, less puncture-resistant, easier to mount, must be inflated before every ride due to latex innertube.

Continental Competition: not as nice a ride, more durable, more puncture-resistant, hard to mount (especially to mount without glue for the first time on stretching rim), butyl innertube does not require re-inflation every day

As for relative grip between these two choices in wet conditions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Conti Competition durable? Just through a tire and got Vittorias instead. Competition was good but wearing down very fast. Nice thing is that they are really fast, feels like the grip is good and butyl tubes so you don't have to pump them before every ride like I have to with my Challenge tires.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I'd go for the Competitions. The Vittorias are in fact a great ride but unfortunately too puncture prone.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

skinnyankles

by skinnyankles

Veloflex carbons? :noidea:

metanoize

by metanoize

Why limit yourself to just these two, imho, better choices would be

Veloflex Carbon
Vredestein tri comp
Deda Tre Olimpico
Hutchinson Carbon Comp

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

There's little point in opting for tubular wheels if they're going to be mounted with a tubular that rides like a rather mediocre clincher IMHO.

EVO CX and Conti Comp are like night and day when considering performance in wet weather conditions. That and puncture resistance are two parameters where Comps really shine. Other than that there's not much to like.
EVO CX is a complete disaster in the wet, puncture resistance varies (totally unusable where I ride) according to geographical conditions but overall it isn't their forte. They do roll well and offer a fine, fast ride.

Should you consider a handmade (read glued together as opposed to vulcanized) tubular such as Veloflex, FMB, (maybe Challenge) and Dugast then keep in mind that it's worthwhile to let them "age" for a couple of months prior to use. It makes a world of difference in the puncture department.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

54x11

by 54x11

stephenjwhan wrote:I'm looking for a tire that is durable and fast and after some research have narrowed it down to these two.

Both good tires, the Vittoria gives a better ride but the Conti is much more durable and puncture resistant. Both fast but I go with the Conti's on value for money.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Both fast but I go with the Conti's on value for money.

How do you figure that one? In Europe Comps are quite a bit more expensive than Vittos and I'm sure they're quite a bit faster on a real road too....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

jaup

by jaup

fdegrove wrote:Hi,
EVO CX and Conti Comp are like night and day when considering performance in wet weather conditions. That and puncture resistance are two parameters where Comps really shine. Other than that there's not much to like.
EVO CX is a complete disaster in the wet, puncture resistance varies (totally unusable where I ride) according to geographical conditions but overall it isn't their forte. They do roll well and offer a fine, fast ride.

Agreed I am running Vittoria Corsa Evo CX on my Parlee and they are probably the worst tyre I have ever ridden in the wet, I have a number of scars to prove it, they are quite unpredictable.

Also they are very prone to punctures...

tommasini

by tommasini

It would be helpful if those posting replys would give some idea of the road conditions they put their tires through......

I ride in and along the outskirts of a major US midwest city (Omaha NE) and routinely year in and year out wear my evo cx's down to the casing without a flat. That said, the roads I use generally have very minimal glass or other tire hazards. I don't try to commute with them and I don't ride in the rain if I can help it, and no longer race - so I can't speak in regards to wet weather performance.

Meanwhile, those who may attempt to ride these tubbies in below average conditions need to change their expectations of what a tire can and will do for them.

Cheers!

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

thanks for all the input so far !

i'm leaning towards the conti's right now. seems to be a bit more durable and offer good rolling resistance as well.

i've heard good things about the veloflex carbon but they're a bit pricier than the conti and vittoria's.

definitely would love to hear more opinions !

tommasini

by tommasini

Check out version 9 of Al Morrison's well regarded rolling resistance test results - see if you still think that Conti tubular tires are "good" rolling resistance tires.......when the first one doesn't show up until page 3.

http://biketechreview.com/tires/rolling ... oller-data" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes I wonder if people mis-perceive the "hard" ride of the conti as a "fast" ride - when instead it's just a rough hard ride and not all that fast.
Last edited by tommasini on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Have experience with Veloflex, Vittoria, and Conti and would rate them in that order.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

tommasini wrote:Check out version 9 of Al Morrison's well regarded rolling resistance test results - see if you still think that Conti tubular tires are "good" rolling resistance tires.......when the first one doesn't show up until page 3.

http://biketechreview.com/tires/rolling ... oller-data" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes I wonder if people mis-perceive the "hard" ride of the conti as a "fast" ride - when instead it's just a rough hard ride and not all that fast.

keep in mind that in those rolling resistance tests, it starts by stating that he was originally using a poor method of gluing. he has since changed, but the conti tubulars on page 3 were still the "lightly glued" method. it appears he has not yet retested them "properly glued". i also would speculate that his original method would hurt the contis more, as their base tape is dry.