Speedplay Zero, chromo or stainless?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I'm switching my 'my first clipless' Keo Classics for some Speedplay Zeros. Is there any performance difference between the chrome-moly axels and the steel? It appears they both have the same bearings and cleats?

$60 (rrp) for 4g (claimed) is absurd, even for WW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

They're 10 g. difference, and one of them is manufactured in the US with more expensive material and one is made in Taiwan with less expensive material.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

The stainless also does not have a coating that will get chipped/scratched up over time. I went with Stainless because of better resistance to weather and adverse conditions based on the materials properties as opposed to just the outer layer/coating.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

sungod

by sungod

if you don't ride in the wet, especially in winter when roads are salted, then there's not much difference

i've got the stainless on my commute bike, a couple of years of soakings and salt spray, no corrosion, whereas chromoly ones do corrode, especially if salt water gets into the guts

if you do go for chromoly, put plenty of antiseize on the threads and redo once a year

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I'm in the UK, so stainless it is. Thanks a lot.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I have both. I don't notice any difference.

I will say the black chromoly spindles look better with black cranks than the silver stainless spindles.

leosantos

by leosantos

^^ Having both as well, I second that, though Im swapping the cromoly for Ti spindles, significantly lighter, for my light bike. that is a worthy usd 60 upgrade imho..

odin99

by odin99

if upgrading to Ti spindles go with chromo. if not, go with stainless. i had the chromo ones - exposed spindle part got pretty rusty in less than a year... but i live by the ocean.

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

Does the ti speed plays have a weight limit

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I searched out some older posts about the Ti spindles - and Speedplay's legal shenanigans. Chrome-moly it is, with a Ti upgrade at some point!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Mike, the Ti spindles I found (dulight) have a 105kg weight limit.