The 'noisy wheel' thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My Zipp 404 tubulars are making a popping noise when I am out of the saddle at high effort and low cadence. My sense is that it is coming from the rear wheel. The internals of the hub are in great shape as it recently had new bearings and freebody installed (courtesy of Zipp :D). The build is a good one as all the spokes feel solid and the wheel has remained perfectly true. Is it possible that the noise is from the spokes where they cross each other when I put the power down? Almost as if when I drop my full weight on the pedal I am winding up the hub ahead of the rim causing the spokes to shift. I am definitely on the larger more powerful end of the rider spectrum but this seems a stretch.

The other thought I had was that it might be the ends of the internal spacers making noise where they contact the bearing races when I load the drive train. Perhaps there is a small amount of movement between the parts causing the noise.

The noise seems be related to pressure on the drive side pedal.

The hub is properly torqued and the QR is cleaned and lubed regularly.

I appreciate your thoughts and possible solutions. BTW the bike is silent with other wheels
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillMut

by HillMut

just a though - but try a different cassette? grease on cassette body?

rustychain

by rustychain

Check your QR
Often the problem
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

scico

by scico

I had similar problem. Try to grease freehub bearings

Arky

by Arky

+1 on QR too loose. That has been my experience as well.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Fixed the noise by:

1. dismantling the rear hub and forcing some lube in between the bearings and cylindrical spacer ends and spoke head/hub shell interface.
2. cleaning (but no lube) between the spokes at crosses.
3. Greased freebody splines.

No idea which of these actions actually stopped the noise.

My QR and dropouts are always cleaned and lubed so not a factor with this noise.

Pinaf413

by Pinaf413

I just bought a new set of campy zondas as a training wheelset. When you spin the rear wheel I can hear a small metal piece rattle around. You can't hear it at high rpm, but is this normal for new aluminum wheelsets? Is there anything I can do to fix it? The spokes on the zonda don't go through the entire rim bed so I am not sure how to get the loose piece out. This doesn't affect performance, but it is annoying for a new wheelset.

Murphs

by Murphs

will it come out the valve hole?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I had that happen on an old pair of Spinergy quad-spokes. It had the same issue... I tried fishing it out and i could not do it!!!!!!!!
Good luck.
You will need it!

cezinho

by cezinho

Hello ww's,

I bought a pair of as new 38mm full carbon tubulars, with novatech ceramic hubs.
They are +- 200km old so pretty new. They are from 2010.
I know the seller in person.
The front wheel makes a strange noise like if it was rubbing somewhere.

What i did:
Opened the brakes and checked if in fact is what rubbing somewhe, it wasn't.
Changed the front wheel to another one i had at home to check if the noise is really coming from there: the noise is from the front wheel.
When the wheel spins free on the air, there is no sound. -> only when sitted on the bike
The front hub seems to be tightened, so no play.
I could tell, but not sure, that the noise is made when valve passes through the floor.

Options i considered:
1- the tubular is not well glued so when valve section hits the floornit touches the rim and makes the noise
2- some bearing problem that i cannot identify.

What do you think?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Not an expert but I have read a lot of advice on this. It can happen that the valve hole is not big enough and therefore the tubular tire does not seat properly at that area. Solution would be to remove tire, gently file around valve hole area and reglue the tire.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

tommasini

by tommasini

Please before you'd ever get out the file......If it is a click, click with each revolution.....it's very likely because your valve stem is moving ever so slightly in the rim hole and knocking against the rim. Put a single wrap of electrical tape on the valve stem (before glueing)

cezinho

by cezinho

tommasini wrote:Please before you'd ever get out the file......If it is a click, click with each revolution.....it's very likely because your valve stem is moving ever so slightly in the rim hole and knocking against the rim. Put a single wrap of electrical tape on the valve stem (before glueing)

sorry, what do you mean by "you'd ever get out the file"?

I am also convinced that is a valve problem. Either too small hole for the valve like bikerjulio says, or a too big hole as you suggest.
don't think it is a mechanical problem, due to the condition of the wheels.

saroadie

by saroadie

Without having heard the sound, does the sound still if you free spin the wheel? If yes, maybe it's the valve but unlikely it's the tyre. If no, more likely the tyre.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell." Peter Brock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cezinho

by cezinho

as written above:

When the wheel spins free on the air, there is no sound. -> only when sitted on the bike