Need help with new bike specs please!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cybernck

by cybernck

I've finally come across a frameset for a new road bike - it's a BIN 2011 Scott CR1 Pro. Things might have changed a bit
since I built a road bike last time, which was 6-7 years ago, so I need some advice. Bear in mind I'm building this on
a (relatively) tight budget and it also has to be UCI-legal. Here's what I have in mind - but please feel free to post
your suggestions.

I'm a bit tempted by sexy Campagnolo components and the lightness of SRAM, but I'll be getting a 6700 Ultegra groupset,
perhaps "spiced up" with some 7900 Dura Ace, as that's all I can get locally. Usually I (have to) order everything online,
but would rather get a groupset quicker and without postage costs and import taxes.

As for the other parts, I *will* have to buy them online. The plan is to get a Ritchey WCS or Carbon headset, 130 mm stem
along the lines of Ritchey WCS or C260, Easton EA70 or 3T Arx Pro and "modern-shape" handlebars such as EA70 or 3T Ergosum,
therefore mid-range components, with best weight/price ratio I'd say.

I'm currently using Fizik Arione Kium saddle, which seems to suit my bum, so I'll probably stick to it. From what I've seen,
carbon-railed versions are not as light as advertised and only the full-carbon version would be worth getting for the weight
saving, though along with a high price tag.

As for the (31.6) seatpost, I'm completely clueless and puzzled what to get. I may need a zero-setback seatpost (or may not
need it with this frame, I'll have to check) and want it to be matt black, to match the frame. What would you suggest?

The wheels, this will be a problem as they're quite bulky and I can only get Shimano wheels locally and, perhaps, Easton,
whilst I'd be happy with a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite, that come with the 2011 Scott CR1 Pro bike as standard.

That's what I could think of. I'm looking forward to reading some comments.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Werdna

by Werdna

Easton EC70 seatpost is available in a 31.6 diameter and zero setback, only $130.
Swap out the heavy Easton yoke for some lighter 3T or KCNC yokes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Thomsen Masterpiece is alvailablke in 31.6 aslo.

cybernck

by cybernck

Thanks, I'm currently also swerving towards EC70, especially if I get Easton cockpit too.

cybernck

by cybernck

I've been looking into this a bit further for the last couple of nights and have found some interesting info!

Like I said, unless I get trade prices for some DA 7900 components, I'll be getting Ultegra 6700 groupset
for the most part and it seems there are some nice weight savings to be had using "alternative" components,
for not a lot of money at all, namely KCNC C6 or Planet X CNC brakes - about 120-130g lighter than Ultegra
brakes and KCNC K-Type RD2 crankset - 80-100g lighter than Ultegra. These are all lighter than DA as well.

Coupled with PRO RS11 headset instead of Ritchey WCS (25g saving) and a lightweight seatpost from
KCNC range, I could get the bike 250-300g lighter than "stock".

However, it's easy to get lost in the chase for less grams and either start spending mega money
or neglecting some other important issues - the biggest one for me being ease of servicing and
durability of the parts. I intend to train and race on my new bike for a number of years, so I'd rather
have a setup that's more of a "fit-and-forget" fashion but with a slight weight penalty, therefore
my question is how would the aforementioned components cope with the planned use?

As for the (race) wheelset, these are the main clincher options I'll be able choose from:

- Mavic Aksium - 1735g - 225€
- Shimano Ultegra 6700 - 1652g - 260€
- Mavic Ksyrium Equipe - 1690g - 315€
- Easton EA50 Aero - 1786g - 340€
- Fulcrum Racing 3 - 1555g - 370€
- Shimano RS80 C24 - 1516g - 380€
- Mavic Ksyrium Elite - 1550g - 477€

The main factor is strength (for climbing) and durability though I intend to use my old Aksiums or cheap RS10's for training.

Any suggestions?

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I like those Ksyriums.

system787

by system787

Out of those wheels you listed, the RS80's are likely your best choice. Aside from weight, they're the Dura Ace rims laced to Ultegra level hubs. The Ksyriums ride feels jarring, and the RS80's roll like butter, almost as good as it's bigger brother Dura Ace c24

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

+1 for the RS80s they are butter

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

I built mine this year with help on WW.

I ended up with ritchey wcs carbon post, bar and stem all online for good money, very plesed with the quality and weight. They come as standard with ti bolts so no rust or scummy white fuzz if you ride in winter.

I used kcnc seatpost clamp, very good product.

I got some zero gravity brakes which I'd recommend to anyone in a heart beat for a summer bike and love mine, but maybe not for a all year round bike.

Groupset. I got a lot of advice on this as its always a toss up, weight vs cost vs quality.

I ended up with DA 7900 front mech, chain. Got them both online for good money.
Ultegra cassette just due to cost and wanting to run shimano cassette and chain.
SRAM force shifter (lovely shifters, and only about 10g more than red!)
SRAM force rear mech (lovely to look at up close and very strong spring ensures snappy shifts and abut the same weight as DA 7900)

Sounds like a right lash up, but actually it looks amazing and works very very well together. Shimano DA chains have been proven to last better than any other and it's the worn chain that does the damage to the rings and cassette.

Wheels. I've got a few wheels and I must say, for you, for all year round use. I absolutely love my hope hoops road wheels, these British hubs are indestructible and can be serviced at home for about £10. They build the wheels with these hubs in black, with black dt Swiss db spokes (32, 3 cross) and mavic open pro rims which stop really well in the rain. Mine live on my winter bike and get abused to the max, they look really plain (which you might like) are lovely to ride, great ride quality, spin well, the loud free hub makes for a great 'I'm coming here pedestrian!'. So so strong I think hope say you can use them for cyclocross! I know the hubs will easily take hardcore mtbing! And best of all, 1600g....

cybernck

by cybernck

Thanks for the comments and ideas so far!

Last night I found a cockpit that should suit me perfectly - PRO Vibe 7s.

It's not the cheapest and definitely not the lightest around, but apparently very strong and looks the part.

As for the wheels, I'm not too fond of Shimano due to past experience with their older and cheap wheels,
with snapping spokes, disintegrating hubs and need for bearings maintenance. Also, "carbon laminate" term
doesn't inspire me with confidence, but I guess they are in a completely different league to the Shimano
wheels I've used in the past and their weight and price is spot on as well.

My first choice would be something from Mavic, as I've been riding the first model of Aksium Race in all sorts
of weather and riding conditions for over 6 years now, with just one broken spoke on the rear wheel and that's it.
I might also be able to get Easton EA90 SL (1560g) for about the same price as RS80, but I think that, for now,
RS80 will be my main choice for a race wheelset, with something cheap and heavy, such as RS10, for most of
the training rides.

But my biggest "brainer" at the moment is whether to get Planet X CNC brakes and then look into KCNC
K-Type RD2 crankset as well (saving over 200g in the process) or simply stick with the full Ultegra setup,
for proven performance, durability and peace of mind?

I'd like the bike to be somewhat "exotic", but at the same time I need it fully functional 100% of the time.
That includes being able to get it serviced and get spare parts locally (and being used to Shimano shifters
action), which simply rules out SRAM and Campagnolo, though I'm tempted by both, especially Chorus.

system787

by system787

Your experience with shimano wheels in the past have only been with the lower end wheels. The RS80's and above are in a completely new level of durability and reliability.

On the other hand, the Ksyriums will give you a headache with cracked rims, broken proprietary spokes, and an overall wooden ride.

Currently, I'm on Easton EA90 SLX wheels, and have no real complaints other than a poorly designed bearing preloading system, but I'm in the market to grab a pair of DA-C24 CL's. I have only heard praise for those wheels, and my biggest regret is selling my RS80's to get the Eastons.

cybernck

by cybernck

Right... after a lot of research and making up my mind about certain components,
I got a very good offer for a complete 6700 silver groupset locally, including wheelset.
The offer was too good to miss out on, so I went for it and can now cross it off the list.

Just need to get the "peripherals" now and then build the bike :D.

Thanks for all the advice though, I will keep it for later on.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Fot alot less than those Mavic's or RS80 you can a handbuilt wheelset that is just as stiff and lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

They may be lighter, but you'd have to spend much more to match the performance of the RS80 hubs.....almost as good as DA hubs. You could build a Kinlin/Sapim/Chris King or DT wheelset which you'd spend a lot more on than the RS80s.....hubs would be better (maybe), rims would be lighter (definitely not better).