The "Nessecity" of Sports Drinks

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

The BMJ says not so nessecary.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhusten ... k-science/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who to believe:- the BMJ or Gatorade? (I know which I'd choose).

And a few other little tidbits in there too. The sports supplements industry has to be one of the biggest wastes of money out there.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sorin

by sorin

i drink V8 VEGetable juice on my rides ! regarding suplements-yes a total waste \placebo efect ! just eat your fruits\veggies\carbs\protein..thats what some o f the best riders just do eat.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

Fair enough, I thought it was already pretty well known that Gatorade and the like is basically soft drink?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

(nothing other than equivocal benefit from caffeine)

Amen! :up:

And Bert Grabsch drinks only water during his races. He seems to have done ok.

tcurtbike - widely known amongst the like minded people you/we associate with maybe. The masses? Not at all.

liam7020

by liam7020

Here in the UK/Ireland there was a very interesting programme on BBC tv last Thursday re: this very subject. For those outside the British Isles it can be viewed at bbc.co.uk/iplayer and search for Panorama. I know an Irish road champ who does very well on the Obree nutrition plan - jam sannies and water!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

One of my favourite pre-ride snacks is a English muffin with nutella and about 500ml of the V8 vege juice.

The other is 500mls of milk, 2 table spoons of milo, 1 table spoon of choc protein powder (for the flavouring only! Other choc flavoured powders work well or syrup) and a double espresso shot. Shake, scull.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

artray

by artray

I have done 3 to 4 hour rides on just water with a coffee at the halfway point .I do sometimes stick a energy tab in my water if I feel I need a boost to get myself going . The odd banana seems to work as well .
I find as long as I have my choc protein recovery drink soon as im home I recover better. Its all common sense really and the companies selling you all this stuff are trying to blind you with science. Keep a diary of what you eat if you ride well eating a chesse roll and not so good having a energy gel then eat a cheese roll . Im sure Even Mr Tapeworm will agree that we are all different and we have to work out what works best for ourselves. Dont EPO kids or Ricco

sastre

by sastre

liam7020 wrote:Here in the UK/Ireland there was a very interesting programme on BBC tv last Thursday re: this very subject. For those outside the British Isles it can be viewed at bbc.co.uk/iplayer and search for Panorama. I know an Irish road champ who does very well on the Obree nutrition plan - jam sannies and water!

i too watched this and it changed my mind on the spot i recomend every one watch it and small word from graeme obree (always got some build on the kitchen table) and u can understand why sponsed athlete's endorse these products all publicty is good publicity right :thumbup: as we dont no what goes on behind closed doors or whats in the bottle everyone asumes thats how it is so manufacuters make big dolla.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

The most depressing part of that show was the kids playing football who when asked what they drank;
"Cherry Gatorade(iirc)" "Do you notice a difference?" "No but all the top footballers drink it so it must do something"

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

^ Cherry Lucozade. It was horrific. Like something from a Bill Hicks routine.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

liam7020 wrote:For those outside the British Isles it can be viewed at bbc.co.uk/iplayer and search for Panorama.

:cry: :cry:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

Last edited by DrGalactus on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:unbelievable: :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

•Carbohydrate and protein combinations improve post-workout performance and recovery (nope)

Hmm... I'm going to say this article has it's own bias.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com