Rolf Prima Vigor wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Specialized

by Specialized

Does anyone know much about the Rolf Prima range, I'm particularly interested in the Vigors: www.rolfwheels.com/vigor-pic.html, deep section alu. wheelset weighing 1425g!!!
Any other suggestions for wheels in the range of £400-£500 are very welcome, although I would like something different from the norm of Ksyriums, etc......
--Cheers,-_ o
----Sam-- \ \¬
-------- (+)/(+)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

p3u

by p3u

I was in the same situation about 2 months ago. I actually almost bought a set of the vigors. First of all these wheels are FAST! When your going on a strait or down hill you fly like a bat out of hell. The acceleration is incredable and the sound of the wind being sliced by the spokes is really cool. Then theres the weight of the rim. The actual weight is about 475g per rim, not there advertised weight of 450g. It's a light rim for what it is but climbing it did hurt me a bit. If your going to do alot of climbing do not buy these wheels. If your doing alot of flats and descents then go for them, BUT only if you dont weigh more then 175lbs, 80kg and the course is not tecnical because these wheels WILL FLEX!!! I only weigh 130lbs, 57kg and I was getting some noticable flex out of hard corners, so keep that in mind. If you can demo them that would be the best, if not take my advice. A great all round wheelset it the velomax ascent 2. they weigh about 30 g less then the vigors, and there rotational weight is alot less, about 65-70 g per wheel. Plus the spokes are normal spokes so you dont have to weight for ever to replace one if it breaks, your LBS should be able to do it. VERY FAST CLIMBS. Considerably faster then the vigors and MUCH STIFFER. No spongy feel, no flex at all, but if you weigh more then 70kg go with the Orion 2, same wheelset, just 6 more spokes front, 4 more in the rear. Even though the rim isnt deep dish they still accelrate fast downhill and are good on flats. PLUS! This wheel set is about $200 less, AND you get free Michelin Pro Race Tires, and tubes with them. So thats what I went with and would do it again in a second.

To sum it up, Great for flats and TT, Not great if your planing on alot of climbing, and No good if you weigh more than 80kg and have lots of turn, wheels flex. Good luck

by Guest

So I suppose it's Ksyrium SSC SL then? Nothing else seems to challenge for a good all round wheelset, stiffness is very important to me so the Rolfs won't do.
Thanks for your reply :D

Mantra

by Mantra

Have you seen the American Classic CR420 ? Very stiff, light and look great. With Sapim CX Ray spokes the weight is 1400 gr. I'm almost at 100 kg and have had no problems with them so far.

Specialized

by Specialized

Can I get AC wheels in UK?
--Cheers,-_ o
----Sam-- \ \¬
-------- (+)/(+)

Mantra

by Mantra

U.K. Super Cycles

Tel: +44 (0)115-9411133

Fax: +44 (0)115-9415974

email: info@supercycles.co.uk

analogue

by analogue

I dont' agree with what's been said about the Rolfs. I've raced and trained on them for around six months, side by side with Ksyrium SSC SLs, which I used all last year.

The Rolfs are just better full stop. They are really good climbing wheels and (as a 65kg all rounder/climber) I haven't noticed any more flex compared to the Mavics. If anything they feel much more lively and responsive than the Mavics.

Plus the Rolfs are a mere 5g heavier than my carbon Corima Aeros (which are tub rims). That's light....

analogue

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

US Guest

by US Guest

The Campy Neutron wheels are lighter than the Ksyriums but not as light as some others. On the plus side, it's "real life" durable (are you riding or winning lightweight bike contests?). It also has a light rim (good for hills) and aero spokes (good for flats). I'm a Cat. 2 and I can tell the wheels are faster above 20 mph.