Praxis Works chainrings vs. Stronglight CT2s?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jdp211

by jdp211

Aptos, any explanation for this (Quarq Praxis calibration issue)? I'm potentially looking at a quarq for my new build and was planning on a set of Praxis as well. Also, does anyone have any idea if the same issue exists with SRM?

AptosBigRing
in the industry

by AptosBigRing

Hi jdp211 -

According to SRAM/Quarq, our sets "Do not fall within their spec" for their power calibration method/system. Similar to how many sets out there do not fall within their spec.

We never designed our rings with the Quarq system in mind (or any other power system) ...rather we just simply designed for our own high standards for Shift Quality. We shot for what we felt was great balance of weight, stiffness, shift features, durability, and price. Our design just happens to not fit in their guidelines according to them.

I do know that we have MANY SRM customers using our ring sets.

Hope this info helps, as it's on our FAQ also....

Adam @ Praxis
Praxis Works
Manufacturer
Praxis Works
Manufacturer
Santa Cruz, CA
www.praxis-works.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexp247365

by alexp247365

My rings just came back calibrated from Quarq, with a 'calibration successful' sticker on them. In my initial conversations, they were quick to mention that they were seeing ranges of +/- 6 percent with the Praxxis rings (I have the clover-leaf version.) As I do not care what the number is, as long is a continuously off by the same amount, I had them calibrated.

While not ideal... my training can always adjust to the newer numbers accordingly. Not a huge issue for me, although some may find it a turn-off.

Dustin

by Dustin

AptosBigRing wrote:I do know that we have MANY SRM customers using our ring sets.

I got cut off last night at our local weekly crit. My driveside crankarm/ SRM/ Praxis rings/ foot met a 3" steel pole somewhere around 25 - 28mph. The impact bent my SRM chassis, ripped lockring threads off of my crankarm, may or may not have broken something in my foot, yet my chainrings are straight.

I was rather surprised.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

AptosBigRing wrote:According to SRAM/Quarq, our sets "Do not fall within their spec" for their power calibration method/system. Similar to how many sets out there do not fall within their spec.

We never designed our rings with the Quarq system in mind (or any other power system) ...rather we just simply designed for our own high standards for Shift Quality. We shot for what we felt was great balance of weight, stiffness, shift features, durability, and price. Our design just happens to not fit in their guidelines according to them.

Adam @ Praxis
Praxis Works
Manufacturer

It's too bad as I am bound to the Quarq ATM. I would really love to try a set!

Permon

by Permon

AptosBigRing wrote:Hey guys...
Praxis here... wanted to chime in and say hello to the thread...glad people are talking about the upcoming ring sets we're launching.

Just like you guys, we're discerning riders that want great products for a good price, and we've put a great deal of love and sleepless nights into getting these rings out there for a value price. We know how important price is and the balance.

In the current landscape of chainrings on the market, there are only 2 companies that know how, and can forge. US, and the big blue S company. When we forge these rings, we're moving a great deal of metal in just moments and also aligning the aluminum grain structure. So not only are we able to pack in all the LevaTime shifting features, but we're creating a much more rigid, and stronger/tougher tooth by forging rather than with CNC manufacturing (basically every other ring out there) The manufacturing and technology packed in these rings is huge so it's definitely NOT your average chainring.

We're really excited to get these out to the market. Just putting final touches on things before we get them out, and we sincerely hope you give us a shot next time you're having to purchase new rings!

-Praxis

Hi,

when are You going to introduce rings for Campagnolo spider? (135mm). I have read that you are going to produce them soon, but they are still not available:( Please, give us some more info.

Thanx

Stockie

by Stockie

I'm about to change chainrings and don't know what to choose:

Stornglight ct2: good, but with a normal design
Praxis: clover 'aero' design, good shifting, terribly expensive since i live in Europe.
Sram Red Black: 'aero' design. But how is the shifting compared to the other two?
I Will make the leap

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

AptosBigRing wrote:According to SRAM/Quarq, our sets "Do not fall within their spec" for their power calibration method/system. Similar to how many sets out there do not fall within their spec.

I am under the impression this changed for the units with the omnical feature.

AFAIK so far there's only the SRAM Red Quarq, but the Specialized Quarq that's coming out is supposed to be working with your rings.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

AptosBigRing
in the industry

by AptosBigRing

We've also heard mixed reports now that Quarq is in fact calibrating some of our rings within their spec. We're just not sure as we get partial info from people. It's been hit and miss with info from the field... We'll see about the Specialized spider....

Thanks

Adam@Praxis
Praxis Works
Manufacturer
Santa Cruz, CA
www.praxis-works.com

timzcat

by timzcat

Referring back to the original question, the Praxis rings are considerably better then the Stronglight rings in my opinion.
They shift better, are clearly stiffer and I expect will last longer.
When I got the bike it came with FSA rings for 50/34 spider (Hollowgram crankset) and I knew they weren't going on and I even bypassed the already owned Stronglights and ordered the Praxis rings.
In fact I still have the old Stronglights on the shelf for my soon to build CAAD 10 second bike and I quite honestly don't know if I will bother using them and will probably order another set of Praxis rings.
They cost more because they are a quality product :thumbup:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I ended up buying CT2s instead of Praxis for three reasons:
-I just wanted a 50T, but Praxis are only sold in sets. I do understand that the chainrings are designed so well that they perform best with each other, but still I was willing to forego the "ultimate shifting experience" ... if only they were sold individually.
-The price was high, but if CT2s are already great shifting chainrings, are available individually, are lighter, and cost less, the justification was waning.
-Disappointed that the only design for 110BCD is the clover pattern. Heavy. :(

As for longevity: chainrings already last a hell of a long time compared to other components, no? :noidea:

I understand that Praxis chainrings are apparently the bee's knees, the donkey's balls, and then some, but I'm willing to wait until costs come down, design options improve, and they are available for individual chainring sales.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

timzcat

by timzcat

My Stronglight CT2 in 110 BCD were 37g for 34T and 103g for 50T

My Praxis Clover rings in 110 BCD are 30g for 34T and 96g for 50T.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have had good luck calibrating my SRM with Praxis rings- seems to be totally stable.
What is it t a Praxis ring that would make this an issue?

AptosBigRing wrote:Hi jdp211 -

According to SRAM/Quarq, our sets "Do not fall within their spec" for their power calibration method/system. Similar to how many sets out there do not fall within their spec.

I do know that we have MANY SRM customers using our ring sets.

Hope this info helps, as it's on our FAQ also....

Adam @ Praxis
Praxis Works
Manufacturer

bicicleta

by bicicleta

Just installed Praxis clover rings 50/34 on a Rival crank with RED Yaw FD. Took the bike for a quick spin round the block, 2 miles at most, the shifting is stupid stupid FAST. The Praxis rings are a bit thicker than the SRAM I replaced, so I turned the big ring stop screw 1/4 turn out just in case, other than that I didn't do any adjustments. I'm really impressed to say the least.

50/34 Clover, black-silver.... 30.1 grams for the 34T and 88.3 grams for the 50T. That's 3 grams lighter than SRAM's.

bluesea

by bluesea

bicicleta wrote:Just installed Praxis clover rings 50/34 on a Rival crank with RED Yaw FD.

What shifters are you using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com