2012 Hub Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Phill P

by Phill P

I forgot to thankyou for the update! The hub reviews and the crank reviews are awesome. Specially the crank reviews with the amount of effort you went into on the test rig.

Yes shame campy and shimano don't do lower spoke counts any more (so they don't loose wheel sales). I do think it would be good marketing to point out why you should spend more on some of the hubs you sell over a set of Taiwanese hubs. Small bearings/axles, lower bracing angles, thinner flanges etc. While we can lust after some CKs or extralites, a lot of people still opt to spend less (and get less) with Taiwanese hubs.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

kavitator

by kavitator

Great article! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Excellent review - thanks for putting it together
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jerade

by jerade

What a bunch of informations! :shock: Thanks! Tired now, will read it tomorrow. :mrgreen:

danwerle

by danwerle

Like others have said, I really enjoy these reviews. Every time I read them I learn more and more about wheels. Many thanks to you, Troy, and Ron.

I do have one question: why weren't Dash hubs included?

Thanks.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Jason,
i know theyre not sold aftermarket, but hub design can steer one person's wheelset purchase choice. what's your take on the Zipp 88/188 duo? how do they stack up?

Mackers

by Mackers

HammerTime2 wrote:
Phill P wrote:Yes shame campy and shimano don't do lower spoke counts any more (so they don't loose wheel sales).
Presumably, these are business decisions by the companies in an attempt to get you to buy their factory wheels instead of selling you low spoke count hubs which you get built into wheels. Whether these are profit maximizing decisions is another matter.

DA are still available in lower spoke counts.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

how does the extralite MDX mountain rear hub with "front engagement" compare to road version? Is the engagement for the SLX/SPX when riding feel like Tune Mag170?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That is a good review. good to know there is such considered opinion based on reason here.

mythical

by mythical

Excellent writeup! It's very informative about all the factors that are to be considered with building a wheel and I particularly find the bracing angles useful as an indication of wheel stiffness comparison. :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira