what do you use for a recovery food or muscle build food ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

olebole

by olebole

Tapeworm wrote:@ royk if you had some sort of lactose intolerance I could see this being a huge boon to drop all diary products. But if not what exactly is causing the issue? FWIW, I usually down about 1-2 litres per day.

Placebo is one hell of a drug :)

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

@thejensie: A 1 liter bottle of chocolade milk, i really dig that stuff, its great for my soul and my head. And hey- a happy rider is stronger rider...
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

freddy

by freddy

I drink banana milk shake,with some vegetables.I usually drink and eats this food after my exercise also.Because these gave me energy and fill the blanks.I usually don't take meal after my exercise or cycling.

rOYk

by rOYk

Tapeworm wrote:@ royk if you had some sort of lactose intolerance I could see this being a huge boon to drop all diary products. But if not what exactly is causing the issue? FWIW, I usually down about 1-2 litres per day.

Tapeworm, First of all, I don't have any lactose allergies, I'm not Mr. perfect diet and basically I enjoy the vast variety of food around us. The reason that I believe that milk products is not good for humans is because of the cow hormones, they are bad and misfit the human digestive system, second reason is the milk calcium that works in bad way for our bones system, third, the amount of drugs that the dairy suppliers are using can effect your body in very bad way. I'm not a prig, the same hormones and drugs are in use in meat industry- the difference for me is the amounts of meat I consume per week.

This clip is very shallow, but you can understand the main idea

Dairy or not, enjoy your ride!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I understand the sentiment but at least here in the land of Oz points 1, 2 and 3 are claptrap.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Milk Alkali Syndrome too
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

rOYk

by rOYk

Tapeworm wrote:I understand the sentiment but at least here in the land of Oz points 1, 2 and 3 are claptrap.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Milk Alkali Syndrome too

It's funny that the TDF is on but I find myself roaming in WW site.. I respect your point of view, I gave my personal non-scientific ditch the dairy experience.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Organic California Lactose free milk. :thumbup:

organic + local economy + lactose free = win, win, win.
In a glass bottle. For posterity and kick-assery.
http://strausfamilycreamery.com/product ... -free-milk
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

For recovery I usually do one of several routines.

Very hard interval day:

- First Endurance's Ultragen cappacino recovery drink
- 3 scrambled Eggs on whole wheat toast with salt and some milk. I'll usually have some juice with sugar afterwards

Endurance/Tempo Rides:

- Ultragen or Chocolate Milk
- Whole wheat Pasta with meat sauce

I also make sure to drink lots of water after each. I will usually add a little bit of salt to my water bottles as I tend to lose quite a bit of salt during efforts.

Rick

by Rick

There are degrees of "lactose intolerance". It is not a on/off phenomenon. So it seems very reasonable that some people just "handle" dairy products better than others and that some people can handle a little but their health is better off without it. According to statistics, some degree of loss of ability to digest lactose is the "normal" state of humans.

From Wiki:
Most mammals normally become lactose intolerant after weaning, but some human populations have developed lactase persistence, in which lactase production continues into adulthood. It is estimated that 75% of adults worldwide show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood.[3] The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from 5% in northern Europe through 71% for Sicily to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries.[4] This distribution is now thought to have been caused by recent natural selection favoring lactase persistant individuals in cultures that rely on dairy products.[5] While it was first thought that this would mean that populations in Europe, India and Africa had high frequencies of lactase persistence because of a particular mutation, it has now been shown that lactase persistence is caused by several independently occurring mutations.[6]

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I come from a Korean family and out of my 37 cousins, me and my brother are the only ones that are not lactose intolerant. Genetics are amazing aren't they?

markrhino

by markrhino

+1 chocolate milk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

CerveloBert - from my time in Asia this year, I consumed a HEAP more soy than I ever have in my life. And I'm not in any way 'soy shy' back here in Australia.

The dairy over there wasn't really great either, so I barely touched it.

So if you have a genetically poor tolerance in the first place to dairy it makes sense the society won't put much effort into it and it won't be a dietary option widely on offer.

Bit of vicious circle really. Which makes your family's situation not at all surprising.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Absolutely. My brother and I were 2 of 5 cousins that actually grew up in the USA so I'm naturally inclined to believe that it's a matter of what you grew up eating and/or what your mother was eating while you were in womb more than genetics. I could be wrong though, this is merely an observation out of the sample range of my family members.

backflat

by backflat

i was looking for the ways i could increase muscle and strength in my legs.

to eventually improve performance from training rides

instead of just recovering and being the same average rider i was the day before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

You dont need strength or muscle. You just need to eat and recover well. You wont be the same rider as the day before as you say.

You're continuly improving especially if you're a new rider. You get faster every week/month after proper recovery. You get faster as per power, not speed. But it doesnt get any easier riding your bike!