Zipp Skewers and Tacx Trainers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

J3FVW

by J3FVW

I'm looking at buying a Tacx Ergo Flow trainer and both my bikes have Zipp skewers.

Are Zipp skewers compatible with Tacx trainers or would I need to keep swapping the rear skewer over to the supplied Tacx one? Don't really want the hassle of swapping skewers regularly and don't really want to run the Tacx skewer on the road.

Would be great to hear from Zipp/Tacx owners about this
S Works Venge Project Black DA Di2
Allez Comp 105

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I can hardly imagine Zipp (or most other) skewers working, because the Tacx skewer's head doesn't pivot.

If swapping skewers is too much of a hassle, a cheap rear wheel plus cassette might work? That gives you the benefit of being able to run a trainer-specific tyre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deltree

by deltree

wassertreter wrote:If swapping skewers is too much of a hassle, a cheap rear wheel plus cassette might work? That gives you the benefit of being able to run a trainer-specific tyre.

If he thinks swapping skewers is a hassle swapping wheels must be a major inconvenience.

J3FVW, man up.

ms6073

by ms6073

J3FVW wrote:or would I need to keep swapping the rear skewer over to the supplied Tacx one?

We have both the Tacx Fortius and Bushido and feel comfortable saying that you will not be able to use your Zipp skewer so if you dont really want to swap skewers, then either go the inexpensive trainer wheel route or add a second, dedicated trainer bike to your collection so you never have to take it off the trainer. :D
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

no they are not compatible - you need the bulky Tacx bobble for the clamping device -
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

just buy a cheap trainer wheel - and a true trainer tyre (you will shoulder a road tyre very quickly) - and bang on an old cassette
bingo
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com