2012 Hub Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Over the last few weeks we (we = Ron Ruff, Troy Watson and myself) have been working on updating our hub review from a couple of years ago. We've added a bit more of the technical stuff, though not too much and updated all the hubs to current models. We thought perhaps some of you might like it. You can read it here: http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/ Though I should warn you that it is on the long side and does take a little while to read, but in my opinion is worth the time.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks, as always, Jason! :beerchug:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Many thanks, FWB! As you've done in previous write-ups, your thorough analysis intelligently combines firsthand quantitative testing with extensive experience and subjective evaluation; consequently like those previous component 'tests', I think it again provides one of the best sources of reliable information and commentary.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

brycerider

by brycerider

Great update. Bookmarked for future reference

Sent from my ME860 using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

incognitus

by incognitus

Very informative! Thanks :beerchug:

I have found one error though - the table for the Extralite SX shows DT Swiss data...

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Amazing work. Thumbs up!
I'd like to add my two cents later regarding the bearing resistance. It can go up to higher values for power absorption. We have been measuring many hubsets with torque meter and we realized some hubs have virtually 0 friction, thus 0 power loss, even with the QR being closed, while some hubs can have up to 5W watts at 50km/h (about 31miles/hour).
Also, if my memory serves, the DT180 has a full carbon central tube. This is not alloy wrapped with carbon.

Great work, said it again.

KB

by KB

Jason - as always fantastic review and reviews (a great reference point for people wanting an unbiased take)

Mackers

by Mackers

Nice, but I'd still like a comparison with DA/Record hubs, and maybe some of the popular Taiwanese hubs?

Sam

by Sam

I like the fact that it is boutique hubs only in the review. Generic hubs are not that interesting. They are cheap enough to try out.

But, I do agree on that I would be very(!) interesting to see how they compare to Shimano Dura-Ace and Campagnolo Record hubs.

Phill P

by Phill P

I'm with Sam. No point pointing out how great thee hubs are with out providing a bench mark or some perspective.

That said FW don't want to point out that you can get hubs that might as good for you as some of their exotica for half the price. That is if you want a light set of hubs with reduced bearing durability etc as many of the Taiwanese hubs obtain their weights with tiny bearings and axles. That is fine for some, but if you look at the hubs in the review they are mostly all quite tough as well as high quality.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

stuartrc

by stuartrc

Great work FWB

between yourselves and Adrien we have fabulous resources for wheel research. Thanks for doing it.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

incognitus wrote:I have found one error though - the table for the Extralite SX shows DT Swiss data...

Ooops. Though now the proper table has been inserted.

Adrien wrote:... if my memory serves, the DT180 has a full carbon central tube. This is not alloy wrapped with carbon.

Thanks Adrien, that was meant to be in the rear 180 description. Has been corrected.

Mackers wrote:Nice, but I'd still like a comparison with DA/Record hubs...

With the length of this thing we had to cut it off somewhere and it made sense to leave out DA/Record hubs because they aren't available in low spoke counts which is what most modern wheels are built with.

Mackers wrote:... and maybe some of the popular Taiwanese hubs?

Those are definitely different in my opinion. All the hubs in this review are designed with certain performance characteristics in mind. The far east stuff that everyone rebadges tends to be designed with price in mind and not with an eye on any unique performance characteristics. Not to say some of them aren't decent performers but they aren't necessarily engineered with that in mind.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

excellent way to kill off a friday afternoon at the office!

micky

by micky

Another great post from Jason!
Compliments and...grazie! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com