New SwissStop Carbon Pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDoc

by TheDoc

Sounds pretty interesting...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/19/swi ... he-leader/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Any word on a Lightweight (CarbonSports) version of this, or how they are viewed by CarbonSports for use on various Lightweight wheel models? Will there be "no need" for a separate, and allegedly different (well, at least in color and color of residue left on rim) Lightweight=branded version?

I don't see any mention of durability of these pads vs. Yellow Kings, nor of comparison of wear they induce on rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

What I don't understand is the heat claim. What a pad should do is cause restistance on the brake surface during braking, this generates stopping power and heat. So to a certain levell more heat means more stopping power.
On the other hand the yellow pads became a bit outdated compared to for example the much cheaper blue Reynolds pads (I use them and they perform way better than both the yellow kings and the black LW swisstops).

sungod

by sungod

i also wondered about the heat

it seems this is just a single braking event, if the temperature is for the pad surface, it may simply be that the new pads have much better thermal conductivity, so they'll sink more heat into the holders/calipers and reduce the rate of temperature increase

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

Before we can give approval for usage of Black Prince pads in combination with Lightweight wheels, we have to do our own tests - both on road and in laboratory.
This will take some weeks. Until that only the Lightweight by Swissstop pads are allowed for Lightweights wheels to avoid a loss of warranty.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

JWolf

by JWolf

Also a question for the lightweight wheels - have you ever tested the Zipp Tangente pads with your wheels. They appear to be the same as yours but are more easily available sometimes.

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

I got to ride them. Very good pads makes carbon feel like alum. Very good heat control and solid braking.

WasFab

by WasFab

I used yellow swisstop on my 404 tubes wheels and they made noise no mater what, I moved to the Zipp Tangerine, no sounds and better stopping performance. I don't know how the Tangerine will works with Lightweight.

bura

by bura

Hope that its not just a marketing gag because everything goes black so SS "must" follow.
And that they will not higher priced than the already costy yellows.
Like sharkman said the Reynolds blue are performing better than the SS yellow.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

HillRPete

by HillRPete

To balance opinions, in my unscientific tests I found Swiss yellow and Reynolds blue to perform more or less equally well on basalt-enhanced yishun rims. Both are squealing too.

WasFab

by WasFab

The Zipp are not squealing!

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Higher stopping power/ friction doesn't have to equal "more" heat than pads that doesn't stop as well...

Some companies pads wear faster and shed material (without building heat) in the process of stopping better, some have a bit more surface area and some use material that simply doesn't conduct as much while the surface maintains or increases the friction / stopping power.

The better newer pads from a few companies are a combination of these things.
Last edited by CharlesM on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharkman

by sharkman

Higher stopping power/ friction doesn't have to equal "more" heat than pads that doesn't stop as well...

That might be correct on quality pads compared to really old fashioned stuff or pads that aren't up to the job between good pads there als only marginal differences (so more stopping power has to come with raised friction and more heat).
I think what Carbonsports is trying to tell is that if the Swisstop claim is viable (more stopping power with cooler pads) the heat has to dissapear through the holder/brakes and rim and testing is the only way to see if the claimed better performance doesn't come at a price.

daryl1

by daryl1

I've used a lot of different pads on my reynolds dv46s including swisstop yellow and none of them come close to these black zipp pads, anyone have the same experience? I noticed on the website they say to use them with aluminum clincher rims, but they seem to work just fine on carbon.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Yes...

The yellows were good relative to other pads but different compounds in the last couple of years came into play that could both brake better and, yes, create less heat at the rim (and not melt and lay a coating onto the rim, which the yellows would do under fairly extreme conditions)

Carbon sports is no different than every other quality rim maker looking for (and finding) that compound / material selections have improved.

Different rim makers have different concenrs though and it's down to rim construction difs. Zipp did a better job with resin and their rim simply doesn't heat up as much as many others, but the surface has a different texture than many. A few other rim makers are using coatings... Some are just looking for better pad compounds. All are finding better solutions but it's not a "one pad for all" solution...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com