Any experience with Shipbikes.com ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

long_legs

by long_legs

I need to ship my road bike from Illinois to California.

I am considering using Shipbikes.com.

Do any of you used this company and their boxes ?

I will really appreciate any comments and also alternatives out there.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timzcat

by timzcat

They use Fedex Ground for shipping and I found that if you print the label online you can get a better rate directly on Fedex website.
From shipping a couple different frames I've found Fedex Ground to have the best price for shipping bikes.

If you go to just about any bike shop they should give you a box. They discard them on daily basis so it's no big deal to them.

long_legs

by long_legs

timzcat wrote:They use Fedex Ground for shipping and I found that if you print the label online you can get a better rate directly on Fedex website.
From shipping a couple different frames I've found Fedex Ground to have the best price for shipping bikes.

If you go to just about any bike shop they should give you a box. They discard them on daily basis so it's no big deal to them.

Thanks timzcat for the advise.

LegalizeMyCannondale

by LegalizeMyCannondale

+1 for Fedex Ground

And make sure to protect the fork and frame dropouts! :)

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

Many Bicycle Companies use http://www.aircaddy.com/

xtremely4

by xtremely4

Stay away from UPS. I was charged $140 to ship a CAAD 9 purchased from Texas recently. Not only was the charge outrageous, my bike arrived past the promised date and it was a hassle to get refunded the charges. 5 days shipping from Texas to SoCal. Look into Amtrak, too!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

USPS for domestic or international is reasonable depending on country. I shipped a frame to Japan for like 75 bucks.

LegalizeMyCannondale

by LegalizeMyCannondale

Fedex Ground is still a better option than USPS (Parcel Post/Select) when it comes to domestic shipments.

For international, it's complicated: you cannot ship a complete bike (unless you split in two boxes).
Some countries have a size limit of 79" (length + girth) , and a few countries - like Japan - have a size limit of 108" (length + girth).

For example, you can ship a frame to New Zealand - but cannot ship to Australia. Go figure.

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

have you tried DB Schenker - they just did a Sweden to Uk for me for £94 all in which I thought was pretty good.
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com