hyperon - Corima Who makes who?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spytech

by spytech

Now i know i have read it here before about corima making the rims for Campy hyperons. but is this really true? i called reynolds composite and i asked him about his rim, and if they would custom build me rims with more holes, or another hub, his answer was NO!!! to both questions. he did say that the hyperon rims were pretty good and reliable, i said to him great they are made by corima (WINIUM) (or at least i thought). he did not think so, he said the way the rims were built are different.

i guess what i am asking here is proof that corima makes the hyperon rims, or that they are both the same rim (corima WINIUM and hyperon). if the 202's dont make it here soon, i think i might go with corima.

Joel

by Joel

I heard that Winium and Aero rims are used for the Hyperon and Boras and I'm quite sure. I don't know if it's true, but I also heard that Campagnolo made the Hyperon rims themselfes the first year they made Hyperon wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

J-Nice

by J-Nice

We all need to realize that alot of the carbon that comes from Italy is not manufactured by the companies that sell the items. This is not a big deal-outsourcing is a part of business, but what offends me are the ridiculous markups in price when these items are made extremely inexpensively in the Pacific Rim.
Why anyone would pay so much money for a DeRosa King carbon frame, for example, when all it is is a taiwanese frame that has absolutely no italian pedigree whatsoever is beyond me.
I am not 100% sure about Campy, but I was unaware that they had the facilities to make carbon rims at their factories in Italy. That is why I figured they must be outsourcing their carbon rims, as Corima has in the past with their Boron wheels. They are the carbon wheel and rim producers in Europe-common sense would dictate that if they are not having the rims made overseas, Corima is making them. Also, Campy probably have them make rims that look a little different from the stuff that is made for Corima in-house just so that the people won't catch on that they are being robbed.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

I asked the same question re the new look aero wheels and got a reply from this forum that they were Corima. Guess they may do a lot of branding for others.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

I read in a report on the 2003 EICMA show that Corima was contracted to make all Campy carbon rims this year (2004). I did a side by side comparison of 2004 Bora and the Corima Aero rims and they are identical in construction techniques.

I have not been able to do the same with Winium rims, but I was told by someone over in Italy who should know that they were the same.

Both I guess could be called rumor, but the Bora/Aero similarities cannot be ignored, unless they went to Taiwan and had them copied.

There is another carbon company, based on Sardinia that makes rims, I believe they make rims for FiR. But their techniques are completely different, although it would be a way to confuse people!

Personally in any case I went with the Winium rims for my new ride, mainly due to them having several years on the market, so I know that I'm not R&D for them.
Ride lightly!

:-)

by :-)

i thought everyone new corima made rims for campag :roll:

spytech

by spytech

From what i was explained, the techniques are different. corima is hollow with foam filled core, the hyperon is all carbon :? but what do i know - im just trying to figure this out.

could it be that before 03 corima did not make the rim for campy, and he was refering to that? whatever it is, he says the previous rim (if their was a previous rim) was better, or which ever has the carbon core instead of foam. anyone care to elaborate on this, and prove otherwise.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:From what i was explained, the techniques are different. corima is hollow with foam filled core, the hyperon is all carbon :? but what do i know - im just trying to figure this out.

could it be that before 03 corima did not make the rim for campy, and he was refering to that? whatever it is, he says the previous rim (if their was a previous rim) was better, or which ever has the carbon core instead of foam. anyone care to elaborate on this, and prove otherwise.

Actually Corima make the core (it's structural foam) and basically build the carbon skin around it. It was explained to me once that if they could anchor the spokes in the foam, they wouldn't need the carbon...it's not just a filler to deaden the noise or anything.

Before '03 the Bora carbon rims (with aluminum braking surface) were not made by Corima (the original '90's Bora was a Corima rim). The original Hyperon is not a Corima product as far as I can tell. But they are heavy, 1240gms according to my scales, when you can get Winium/Spada combos at around 1,000gms.
Ride lightly!

Joel

by Joel

when you can get Winium/Spada combos at around 1,000gms.[/quote]
Seems quite optimistic to me:
fr hub: 65g
rear hub: stella 180g
rims: Winium 24hole 600g
spokes: DT aerlite/Sapim CX-Ray: 245
total: 1090g

Tsielio

by Tsielio

are normal winiums also all spokes at one side (assymetric) as hyperon?

ciao

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:
spytech wrote:From what i was explained, the techniques are different. corima is hollow with foam filled core, the hyperon is all carbon :? but what do i know - im just trying to figure this out.

Actually Corima make the core (it's structural foam) and basically build the carbon skin around it. It was explained to me once that if they could anchor the spokes in the foam, they wouldn't need the carbon...it's not just a filler to deaden the noise or anything.

Before '03 the Bora carbon rims (with aluminum braking surface) were not made by Corima (the original '90's Bora was a Corima rim). The original Hyperon is not a Corima product as far as I can tell. But they are heavy, 1240gms according to my scales, when you can get Winium/Spada combos at around 1,000gms.

as it was explained to me, the hyperon, dont have the foam inside, and i have seen one cracked from a crash, no foam :?

spytech

by spytech

any word that confirms the hyperon and corima rims are the same?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TedB

by TedB

The Hyperon RW rim setup is asymmetrical, don't know about the Winium (anyone?). I'm looking at the Corima graphics, but I can't draw anything conclusive. The foam/no foam theory is interesting, and naturally the hubs are different.