Columbus Genius frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Has any one had one of these and weighed it? I have the claimed weight but I want to know how real that is. Has any one ridden one, any experienes at all. In fact does anyone have experience of any of the Columus carbon frames. I know these are used by Cinelli but I have never tried a Cinelli bike either.

Oh by the way I would be using something in the region of a 56 or 57 cm frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I currently have a Somec 56 cm frame for sale on eBay that is built with Columbus Genius tubing. It comes in at 1830 grams. But I am pretty sure you are referring to the new carbon Genius frame :wink:

User Name

by User Name

Yep, that's a bit confusing. The only clue I had that it was carbon is that the poster mentioned 'carbon' in his first paragraph. I knew that Columbus used their 'legendary' SLX steel trademark for some alu a few years ago, so I twigged. I was about to bang on about my old Scapin Genius frame that was 1670g (57). Now they're also using SL and SLX for their carbon. Ah well, I guess they wanna cash in on those famous badges.

So, sorry, but I can't answer your question, but it seems to me that, similar to the unbadged Deda frames, they can be bought for a decent price, especially considering that companies such as Cinelli probably charge double with their stickers on it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That exactly it, The Columbus Genius carbon frame in it's raw version is several hundred pound less than the painted up Cinelli frame. They do the same thing with the SL and Cinelli version of the same frame is twice the price. Some deda frames are also available in raw carbon version including a Di2 frame to the trade. They are very tempting to buy and build up.

They claim it is 960g but the Cinelli estrada has a frame weight of 860g. I think they are menat to be the same frame but both weights can't be true.

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

Even though they may look the same (the mold) the carbon layup may be totally different, which explains somewhat the markup in price, also keep in mind companies like Cinelli have a significant increase over head. Liability, paint, warranty. ETC.

micky

by micky

Cinelli Estrada coming in 6.6kg (unluckily pics are expired but I remember it was a pretty hot ride)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57820&hilit=cinelli+estrada

Cinelli Estrada 6.8kg

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44771&hilit=cinelli+estrada

It wasn't a popular frame but quite light, around 800-900 gramms I guess also thanks to the BB30.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

When I get my hands on one I will post pics and weights.