Anyone else been ripped off by a fellow WW?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maverick_1

by maverick_1

my advice is to do a background check on the seller prior to buying from him/paying him.
I've been keeping track on a particular seller lately, this particular guy was merely posting irrelevant comments on some threads just to hit the 30 post count.
his items are priced 'too good to be true'...

and definitely Paypal only.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

comment removed
Last edited by Leviathan on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Disappointing that so many are getting ripped off. Really comes down to buyer beware...

I have purchased on here a few times and always had no issues. Does make me more wary when looking at the for sale posts.

SSB

by SSB

Thought this would be the appropriate place to put this:

Does anyone else find it dishonest to list stuff for sale that you don't actually have in hand?

For instance, I ordered a set of brakes off a member here way back in May. I paid, and at no point was it mentioned to me that the item was not in the seller's hands. Having e-mailed him a month later, I was told then that the item wasn't going to be shipping for a good number of weeks. Again, 4 weeks have passed and nothing.

What I don't get is this person seems to have a good track record of selling. :noidea:
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You would have been within your rights to demand an immediate refund when informed of the delay, and if that refund were not promptly forthcoming, to consider it to be theft.

SSB

by SSB

Again, I gave the seller a 24-hour window to respond to my latest concern, otherwise I will reveal his username here and report him to the RCMP online fraud division. It won't help me get my money back, but if I can stop it from happening to someone else, then it's all good.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

53x12

by 53x12

^SSB sorry to hear that.

I only buy from members who have been members for an extended period of time and are truely
"members" in that they participate and write quality posts. Not rubbish to get minimum to post in sale section.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Even that's no guarantee. Apparently, some long-time "quality" posters are the little old ladies to your Barney Fife Barney's First Car

SSB

by SSB

I got a response from the seller, and he said that he shipped them out so long ago that he threw out the tracking number?

Damn, I mean I may come across as an idiot, but I wasn't born yesterday. :evil:
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

53x12

by 53x12

SSB, time to name them.

HammerTime2 wrote:Even that's no guarantee. Apparently, some long-time "quality" posters are the little old ladies to your Barney Fife Barney's First Car

That is one of the most abstract posts I have seen in a long time. What are you trying to say?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

I hate hearing this is happening on here.

On a positive note, I have sold a LOT of stuff on here and everyone I have dealt with has been over the top good about paying ASAP. They were extremely happy with everything I sold them as well. I will keep selling stuff to folks on here.

SSB

by SSB

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=104465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, but said individual left me no choice. 89daytona if you want to make it right, then the ball's in your court.

Let this be a reminder to everyone, going with guaranteed funds like Paypal Gift or bank transfers is a bad idea. As much as Paypal sucks, it protects the buyer well. From the seller's viewpoint, I feel that if you're honest and ship items, you shouldn't have an issue. I'll gladly pay the 3% more for credit card payments if necessary from now on.

Recap of the timeline:
May 20th- I send payment, I was told that shipping would take about a week.
June 11th- I send the first e-mail asking where the item is.
June 12th- Since I did not receive a response, I sent another e-mail with harsher language. I receive an almost instant reply that the brakes were being ordered from TW, were to be shipped June 15th and I should get them soon.
July 17th- I send one more e-mail asking where item is.
July 18th- I receive an e-mail claiming item was shipped, other people got them, and that tracking numbers were thrown out. How freaking convenient! :evil:
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

53x12

by 53x12

I'm sorry that happened. Hopefully he makes things right and refunds the money like he should have done in the first place when he didn't have the product to ship.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

53x12 wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:Even that's no guarantee. Apparently, some long-time "quality" posters are the little old ladies to your Barney Fife Barney's First Car

That is one of the most abstract posts I have seen in a long time. What are you trying to say?
That not all the big time posters are as they represent themselves. Because they are big-time posters with very reasonable sounding posts, people will assume they are legitimate, just as people assume that a little old lady wouldn't try to cheat them.
Barney's First Car wrote:Storyline

Barney makes the decision to buy a car for the first time. He sees an ad in the paper that sounds just like what he's looking for and when the seller comes to Andy's house, he's more convinced than ever. The vendor is a little old lady whose husband has recently died. She claims the car was only ever driven a low speed and that it just breaks her heart to sell it. Andy advises caution and suggests that he have Wally the mechanic give the car a once over but Barney won't hear of it. The old woman has him wrapped around her little finger so tight that he even overpays for the car. Not surprisingly, the car breaks down the next day when he take her out for the first time. When Gomer checks it out, he finds saw dust in the transmission, used to keep it all running smoothly for a few days and a sure sign he was taken for a ride. They soon find exactly what that old lady has been up to.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Yeah that only happens in 1963.
Sawdust in the transmission to keep it running smoothly :lol:

Hollywood + fiction + distorted facts = Barneys First Car :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com