Mavic on sources of equipment advantage

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice plot:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Well......that's no fun now is it.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Source?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

wingguy

by wingguy

But what's the baseline reference for each one? The usual one is comparing every aero wheel to a Ksyrium, but what about the others?

Body position gives you 80% of your potential gains, if your start point was how high and how wide?

A good skinsuit gives you the most equipment advantage, but compared to what? An average skinsuit? An average road jersey? MTB Baggies and a t-shirt?

teddysaur

by teddysaur

So the lesson is getting our position checked for aerodynamic after getting fitted onto a bike. I wonder how much that will cost us.

Dalai

by Dalai

It will you cost you nothing but time if you already own a power meter and willing to do some field testing...

Edit - Removed quote. Thanks 53x12 :wink:
Last edited by Dalai on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i think a session in the A2 wind tunnel in NC is about $400. best to have everything prepared to switch quickly so youre not spending all the time messing around.

53x12

by 53x12

^ Chung method.

http://www.cyclingpowermodels.com/CdAEstimation.aspx

Btw Dalai, don't quote post directly above yours. The mods hate it and it makes them crazy.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

teddysaur

by teddysaur

Power meter probably gonna cost 1-2k easily. And field testing may have other uncontrollable variables (wind, and gradient). $400 seems like a good deal to get things check out accurately and cheaply. I think I'm taking the sport too seriously.

Another cheap way is to study the frontal area for the cda model. What you need is a camera and some studio setup, I'm sure that can be calculated fairly fast and cheap.

Dalai

by Dalai

Did say if you already own a power meter... The VE model (Chung model mention about actually prefers to have some elevation differences). With wind, you just needs to pick days with calm conditions and find a no traffic circuit to test.

$400 Does seem like a good deal! I spent time in a tunnel locally a while back and it was invaluable. But it's always a quest to refine and using field testing has been shown as an accurate way method to do this without having to go back into the wind tunnel.

53x12

by 53x12

I know these are assumptions but someone worried about aero most likely races. If they are serious about racing they most likely have a PM or have ability to borrow one from a team member. If they don't have time or funds to go to a tunnel, the chung method or VE method like Dalai mentioned are worth while. Especially if you just want to goof around and try different setups.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com