2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 1

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WalksOn2Wheels

by WalksOn2Wheels

So, I ended up picking up a 2012 bike after considering waiting for the new 2013 fork and deciding I didn't like the new color scheme. I was actually pretty impressed by the weight. And even though this isn't a tubeless rim or tire, they did have stan's yellow tape (From my research, they initially thought they were UST rims) so I threw on some Stan's valves and 3-4 oz of Stan's sealant in each tire and hoped for the best. As of now, they are holding air just fine. I saw other folks on the net who tried it and had good results, though the setup is not officially recommended. I'll come back and post if it goes horribly.

Anyhow, all that to say that bone stock with Blackburn Slick plastic cages (advertised 23 grams each), CB eggbeater 2 pedals, and minus reflectors and tubes, she weighs in just as 11 kilos. or roughly 24.25 pounds. Oh yeah, in size XL.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

fyi a guy over here went tubeless against all recommendations, raced it for his first ride(!) and massively burped the front tire coming off a bump in a corner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WalksOn2Wheels

by WalksOn2Wheels

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, these just shouldn't work as a tubeless setup. I only did it just to see how it would work. I'll pretty much carry two tubes at all times until I go o another rim/tire combo. Some folks have done it and had no issues, but maybe they weren't riding as hard? Any idea what psi he was running at the time? (a link to the thread would be awesome.)

socratease

by socratease

With some tubeless specific tires (Geax or Specialized's Control Casing) and some gorilla tape, you should be fine.

WalksOn2Wheels

by WalksOn2Wheels

Just noticed the title. Can a mod change the 11 to a 1?

Anyhow, got the bike on a "proper" scale (Parks tool) at work and with the cages, pedals and a Garmin computer mount, it was 24 pounds 3 ounces. I'm assuming it's a good sub 24 pounds without pedals my add ons. I guess my home scale is on the heavy side. No problem to report with the tubeless, but I just rode it at 40 psi on pavement for 20 miles, so that's not saying much at all. I have of course hopped some curbs and done a few offroad excursions. I'm probably not going to run any lower than 35 psi anyhow. Regardless I will lace up new rims and get UST specific tires next time around. I just wanted to see the lowest weight you could achieve with the base stock bike.

Next on the list: move seat back, install longer stem (too cramped) and most likely cut down the wide stock bars.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Around here people run 25psi or so, which im sure contributed to the burping of the tire

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

WalksOn2Wheels wrote:Just noticed the title. Can a mod change the 11 to a 1?

You should be able to do so yourself I think?

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

Subject corrected
Lefty heaven

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com