HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:11 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Is there a reason, other than trying to sell expensive chain tools and throwing business to Camoy Pro Shops for chain installation, that Campagnolo does not offer a "missing" link type thing? Does a Campagnolo 11 speed chain installed per Campagnolo's directions perform better or is it more reliable or durable than a Campagnolo chain using a missing link?

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:11 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

boysa wrote:
Sjoerd,
As I mentioned, I use the 11s link and find it to be very reusable. It is the same as the 10s link, really. The only difference is I need the pliers to remove it where I used to be able to break the 10s link apart by hand. BTW, I am referring to the KMC Missing Links.

I filed away a little on the inside of each half of the link where the pins snap into the holes and it now opens up by hand as per the 10S version.
If you think about it, it being non-reusable does not make much sense as it's technically identical to the 10S version but except for a much tighter fit around the pins.

10S C-links work as well but are way too wide and can be a source of noise.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:39 pm 

I'm use 11 KMC missing link and remove it every week for cleaning chain, no problem at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:02 pm 
Shop Owner

For years I have been re-using quick links but some months back my 11 speed KMC "which I had re-used 2-3 times" came lose.

Luckily I was out by myself and not really pushing it, link just unhinged and chain fell to the ground.

Lesson learned - don't re-use the links.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
Luckily I was out by myself and not really pushing it, link just unhinged and chain fell to the ground.

Surely that can only happen if the link wasn't fully closed or not properly closed in the first place?

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 pm 
Shop Owner

I don't think so, i had been riding the bike for a few weeks since the chain was installed. I might have had it in and out of my car but whatever happened did happen and it could have been at the wrong time. Given the cost I have decided it's best to not reuse the links. Use them once and discard. Life it too short to be off the bike nursing injury.

Last edited by Powerful Pete on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote deleted, PP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 am 

cwdzoot, when you say you reused the link, was that with different chains or just on the same chain?
Also, had any part of the link failed or did it just come apart (assuming you found it)?

Go to page Previous  1, 2