Flyxi FR-009 Carbon bike sub 8 kilo build [New Project]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Psyclist

by Psyclist

Decided to sell my old Giant Defy 4 as it would've taken a lot more money to make lighter, so bought a carbon Flyxi-FR-009 from China.

This is what I have so far the following parts:

Will update the thread as I go along.
Last edited by Psyclist on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psyclist

by Psyclist

Just a question. Does anybody know the best/lightest clincher factory wheels for £180 maximum for the rear and about the same amount for the front? (matching wheels)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ticou

by ticou

Not outside the main Campy Mavic line. Why go for heavy pedals? Mine are shim A600's, 270g's.

Psyclist

by Psyclist

I'm new to foot retention, so decided to go for caged pedals with toe clips. Next step is straps added, then clipless pedals.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Why learn to ride with clips, then learn to ride with clips+straps, then learn to ride clipless?

Just go straight to clipless and save yourself time and money.

Psyclist

by Psyclist

It's just my way of learning it :thumbup: I was an XC rider for 6 years and rode on flats. I can wear trainers on with these pedals too. Good for when I stop off at a bar/pub on my rides.

Also, an approximate weight +/- of my build with all of the parts I'll have. Picture of the bike is a photoshop of what mine will look like.

by 2011

Sorry pal, but there is NO WAY this is going to be a 16 pound bike. The stated frame weight is probably way less than it really is, but just judging by all these parts... you're probably looking in the 18-20 pound range.

And what's the point of riding plastic cages on the pedals, with no straps? The cages alone provide no security or extra foot retention for pulling upwards.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

2011 wrote:Sorry pal, but there is NO WAY this is going to be a 16 pound bike. The stated frame weight is probably way less than it really is, but just judging by all these parts... you're probably looking in the 18-20 pound range.

And what's the point of riding plastic cages on the pedals, with no straps? The cages alone provide no security or extra foot retention for pulling upwards.

The frame weights are quite close to what they state. Well within the industry standards of 5% variance.

It should come in under 8kg with some tweaks to the tyres, and tubes.

Psyclist

by Psyclist

maxxevv wrote:The frame weights are quite close to what they state. Well within the industry standards of 5% variance.

It should come in under 8kg with some tweaks to the tyres, and tubes.

Thanks Maxxevv.

2011 wrote:Sorry pal, but there is NO WAY this is going to be a 16 pound bike. The stated frame weight is probably way less than it really is, but just judging by all these parts... you're probably looking in the 18-20 pound range.

My fork was supposed to be heavier than it is, so maybe the frame most likely will be lighter than it's listed as. I have firm belief this will be 8kilos or less. Most of the parts I know the actual weights of. The wheels for example, as I've seen somebody with the same set up I'm getting.

Pedals - I'll be getting proper strapless toe clips first, then I'll add straps back to them, and then, finally move onto clipless.

Psyclist

by Psyclist

The frame is here, I must say I'm impressed by the weight of the frame (first carbon bike I've owned) It wieghs 1017grams alone and 2789grams with parts shown.

Reamens

by Reamens

Made in china?:)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Did you read the first post?
More specifically, did you read the first sentence of the first post?

As for the build, please OP post an update - it looks sharp and I favor budget projects over "more-money-than-sense" builds.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Psyclist

by Psyclist

prendrefeu wrote:Did you read the first post?
More specifically, did you read the first sentence of the first post?

As for the build, please OP post an update - it looks sharp and I favor budget projects over "more-money-than-sense" builds.

Hi Prendrefeu - Update I shall :)

Just so you know, I had to sell my bars and post to pay customs to get my frame, which is why I have new ones.

Weight so fair is 3609 with all parts added in total, I still have chainset,shifters and wheels to get.

Weight of seatpost and saddle together.
Got my bars and seatpost from eXotic (Carboncycles.cc)

SRAM Force front Mech
SRAM Force Reear Mech

jerade

by jerade

I can't believe that you will install those ugly pedals. :unbelievable: Other than that, I'm waiting to see all together. Really curious about final weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Psyclist

by Psyclist

I'm changing pedals now, but not sure whether to try clipless yet. The frame is at a paint shop awaiting a respray as we speak.