Most mts climbed in a single stage?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

vidman

by vidman

Just curious, does anyone know what the most meters climbed in a single stage is?
I guess you could break it down to TdF, Giro and Velta.
Or is there another race that has climbed similar crazy heights in the one stage (thinking one of the South American races for example)?

Why I ask?
I'm planning a really tough ride that will climb 5780mts over 200kms and was wondering how that matched up to a pro stage (forgetting the fact that they do it every day for 3 weeks at a high pace).

airwise

by airwise

Stage 20 of the 2010 Giro crammed over 6000m of vertical ascent into just 175km including the Gavia.

I remember some riders being utterly exhausted at the summit of the Gavia - Dan Martin in particular.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I believe the 2010 (might have been 2011) had 3 stages with 20,000+ feet of climbing.

djconnel

by djconnel

Nothing modern compares to the old days. Consider this sequence from 1911.... I don't have total climbing but from the course map you can see it was a lot.

3 6 July Longwy–Belfort Stage with mountain 331 km (206 mi) François Faber (LUX) François Faber (LUX)
4 8 July Belfort–Chamonix Stage with mountain 344 km (214 mi) Charles Crupelandt (FRA) Gustave Garrigou (FRA)
5 10 July Chamonix–Grenoble Stage with mountain 366 km (227 mi) Emile Georget (FRA) Gustave Garrigou (FRA)
6 12 July Grenoble–Nice Stage with mountain 348 km (216 mi) François Faber (LUX) Gustave Garrigou (FRA)
7 14 July Nice–Marseille Stage with mountain 334 km (208 mi) Charles Crupelandt (FRA) Gustave Garrigou (FRA)
8 16 July Marseille–Perpignan Plain stage 335 km (208 mi) Paul Duboc (FRA) Gustave Garrigou (FRA)
9 18 July Perpignan–Luchon Stage with mountain 289 km (180 mi) Paul Duboc (FRA) Gustave Garrigou (FRA)
10 20 July Luchon–Bayonne Stage with mountain 326 km (203 mi) Maurice Brocco (FRA)[Notes 2] Gustave Garrigou (FRA)

airwise

by airwise

Did they really do much climbing in those days? I mean what they did do was insanely hard given the bikes & unsurfaced roads but, I don't know how many high passes they incorporated into the route.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

"Did they really do much climbing in those days? I mean what they did do was insanely hard given the bikes & unsurfaced roads but, I don't know how many high passes they incorporated into the route."

Use of a train helped many.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com