Cervelo R5CA

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

JWolf

by JWolf

Hi all,

New to the forum. Here is a pic of my latest bike.

Frame: Cervelo R5CA (Size 54)
Grupo: Campagnolo Super Records 11s (except brakes & crank)
Brakes: THM Fibula
Crank: THM M3 (110)
Chainring: PraxisWorks 50/36
Bottom Bracket: Enduro Zero Ceramic
Wheels: Lightweight Obermayer Gold Limited
Skewers: Lightweight Ti
Tires: Continental Competition
Seatpost: 3T Doric Ltd
Stem: 3T Arx Ltd
Topcap & Spacers: Parts of Passion
Bar: 3T Ergosum Ltd
Tape: Fizik Microtex
Computer Mount: Barfly
Saddle: Sella Italia SLR Superflow
Computer: Garmin Edge 800
Weight: 12lbs 2oz (without computer)

What do you guys think???

I will post some pics of my other bits soon (Colnago M10 / Cervelo S5VWD)

JW
Attachments
Cervelo.jpg

SSB

by SSB

Scrumptious. It looks fantastic- those Lightweights go really well with it.

What would make it perfect for me is if the Praxis rings were the all-black clover without the silver accents.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Set up for comfort?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

apLe

by apLe

Oh man, great bike. I've seen R5ca last Saturday in Czech, it makes an impressoon! Please, however, change those chainrings for sth all-black! And better pics please.
18' R5 coming soon...

JWolf

by JWolf

Agree with u SSB but the 50/36 do not come all black yet.

JWolf

by JWolf

Yes. The bike has been set up to be light, comfortable and durable. I could have used a lighter saddle, post and bar. But the trade-off would have been durability and comfort. I would have only saved maybe 4 or 5 ounces and didn't think it was worth it. The bike is light and exotic - but I intend to ride it. I'm in Nantucket with it today and starting to break it in.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Well, don't break it! :lol: :lol:

Happy riding. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mjduct

by mjduct

There once was a man in Nantucket,

His bike was so hot I would....

:thumbup: :welcome: :beerchug:

JWolf

by JWolf

FYI - made a couple of changes when I got home from Nantucket.

1) Changed the brake pads to Lightweight SwissStop; and

2) Changed the top headset assembly from the stock Cane Creek AER to Cane Creek 110 - same size. The AER is REALLY awful - either too stiff or very loose (never right). Spoke with the guys at Cervelo and they recommended this change - even though not technically an upgrade since the AER is lighter and more expensive - the bottom is the same on both the AER and the 110. The fake bearing on the AER just doesn't really work - a little too cute. Steering is 100% better now - normal.

That said - bike is 12lbs 3oz - gained about 20 grams with the new top headset assembly.

Now building my next bike - a BMC IMPEC (white/black) - this one will be a touring bike - built for MAX comfort - should end up a bit shy of 16lbs. Will post pics when done.

JW
Last edited by JWolf on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lars K. P.

by Lars K. P.

Absolute great looking bike. I am looking forward following the built of BMC
Lars K. P.

playride

by playride

Love the setup.. The Gold OB really blends in perfectly with the bike. Maybe the chainrings can be better without the silver. Oh ya, how long is the stem btw?

veloman

by veloman

What do I think? Man, that's one fantastic ride! And just my size too. The only thing that's keeping me from building up some bikes like you guys are doing is my very limited disposable income. But well done. What kind of riding is the bike's specialty? I assume it climbs like a mountain goat.

JWolf

by JWolf

Insane on the climbs so far - limited experience though. I have 2 other bikes - both a bit under 16lbs and the difference was really measurable on the few climbs I've done with the CA. I live in Florida so most of my climbing is on trips or an occasional bridge. The first day I rode this one I went to one of the larger bridges to climb a bit and it was so much fun I turned around and climbed over it again. Also pretty comfortable for such a light setup - my M10 my comfort bike for now but the CA is pretty close.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice.

@mjduct, :D

JWolf

by JWolf

R5CA is all done - couple of things were changed after a the first few rides and the weight has gone down to 12lbs even (without computer) - but with compuet mount and water bottle holder.

I switched the computer mount to a K-Egde, and the AER headset to a Cane Creek 110. Both of those changes cost me a few grams of weight gain - however, I changed the seatpost to a Schmolke TLO and that ws my final attempt at shaving weight. I may try Vittoria EVO CX tires next, which should bring the total weight down to about 11lbs 14-15oz. I would like the bike to be sub 12lbs when it is totally done.

Ride feels feather light - obviousy - and super stiff and responsive. I was getting a very annoying creak on each pedal stroke and greased where the crank attached to the axle. The THM M3's have a strange (easy) mounting system, and the left crank slips on to a grooved section at the end of the axle - I dont think the crank will slide off due to the grease becuase the recommended torque is pretty high for carbon. Its on there incredible tight and no more noise.

I have taken a few pictures of the finished bike with some close-ups below.

I'm alomost finished with my IMPEC and will post my aero bike soon as well.
Attachments
CA BIKE.JPG
9Y5A0087.JPG
9Y5A0088.JPG
9Y5A0090.JPG
9Y5A0092.JPG
9Y5A0089.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com