Recon 10 speed cassette for SRAM XX

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ryan_sherlock

by ryan_sherlock

I have SRAM XX on my XC race bike and am wondering if I can use the Recon 10 speed 11-34 cassettes for the spare wheels. I had read somewhere that it only works with Shimano 10 speed due to spacing issues but I find that surprising.

I have searched and didn't find my answer - if it has already been covered - sorry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcfisher

by xcfisher

The spacing isn't the issue. The recon cassettes have been around for a while... and while they are light, their performance isn't that great. they work, but the shifting speed and accuracy is not quite there.

lowpsihighspeed

by lowpsihighspeed

After speaking wiht SRAM they explained the angles of teeth are specific to XX shifting. Even though I was in a bind and only had an Ultegra cassette they said no way jose.
Highline Outdoor Group | http://www.highlineoutdoor.com

ryan_sherlock

by ryan_sherlock

lowpsihighspeed wrote:After speaking wiht SRAM they explained the angles of teeth are specific to XX shifting. Even though I was in a bind and only had an Ultegra cassette they said no way jose.

Hmm, that is really weird - but what if you were using a non SRAM chain... say a KMC x9sl...

Anyone have any experience with SRAM 10 speed road cassettes with XX - I currently have an 11-28 on the spare wheels.

Colin

by Colin

At one of the national races here, there was a guy from Colombia running a sram red cassette with his XX.

grover

by grover

Race wheels - XX 11-32
Flatland training wheels - SRAM 1070 11-28
Climbing training wheels - Shimano Dynasys SLX 11-36

I just change the wheels and ride. It all works.

ryan_sherlock

by ryan_sherlock

Thanks grover.

As they are for spare wheels, I'm happy if it works 95% of the way. I just can't stomach €300 for a cassette for my spare wheels which I hopefully don't use. I have other bikes to train on so the race bike only gets used during races/prerides.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i had a Recon 10 speed 11-34 titanium on my XX Flash Team
http://eliflap.it/

chrism

by chrism

lowpsihighspeed wrote:After speaking wiht SRAM they explained the angles of teeth are specific to XX shifting. Even though I was in a bind and only had an Ultegra cassette they said no way jose.

Well they would say that, wouldn't they :x
No scales on the trails

ryan_sherlock

by ryan_sherlock

I'll have a 10s Recon cassette on my bike in the next few days and I'll update with the results.

timbat

by timbat

Any updates on how people are finding Recon with XX ?

Work ok ?

damond

by damond

Works ok but not as good as XX or XTR cassette. I've been using a Recon 10sp Cassette with XX and XTR RD and it does the job but you cannot expect it to be as smooth or precise as the others! Be aware of the cog bending on the Recon Cassette. My 20t cog bended till the point it broke and damaged the freehub. Recon sent me a replacement cog with a spacer to prevent the bending but of course the freehub damage wasn't assumed by them!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com