Need advice: Sram Red front derailleur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I am riding with Sram Red. I use the Sram Red steel cage front derailleur. Does it make sense to change this front derailleur for a new Sram Red Yaw derailleur?
I don't have any big issues with front shifting at the moment. Some chain rub with 38 chainring and 13 and 11 cog but ok shifting between the 50 and the 38 chainring.
Will the new Yaw front deraileur bring me better performance then sram red steel cage 2011 front derailleur? :noidea:
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

artray

by artray

No . there seems to an issue with mixing some of the old and new and the main one is the FD .
Hit the search button and you will find your answer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Swapping just the front der (leaving old shifters, cranks and rear der) works and works notably better.

Upgrade to praxis forged rings on the old cranks and it's better +...

The trim stop becomes useless but everything else it a lot better.

upside

by upside

Exactly correct. The shifting of the chain rings is MUCH better.

jerade

by jerade

But why you would change FD if already works well (and spend more money). Do you use it often? I don't, but maybe you live in mountains. :)

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I also swa this discussion (2011 "old" SRAM red vs 2012 "new" decision): Some problems with old Red shifters and Yaw front derailleur, so I don't know.
My setup at the moment works fine, but not great and I have to fine-tune front shifting much more often then I used to do with shimano in the past.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

There is no problem with 11 red shifters and the new yaw fd. There is just a trim position that is not needed. Doesn't affect anything.

OP since you already have the steel cage version there is no need to change it as it will be minimal for the price of the upgrade.

That being said the new shifters and fd are awesome. I'm running them with praxis rings. Extremely fast easy shifts and I no longer have to trim in any position.

BikeNerd2453

by BikeNerd2453

CharlesM wrote:Swapping just the front der (leaving old shifters, cranks and rear der) works and works notably better.

I thought the new FD wasn't supposed to work very well on non-new cranks, ie older Red stuff?

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

BikeNerd2453 wrote:
CharlesM wrote:Swapping just the front der (leaving old shifters, cranks and rear der) works and works notably better.

I thought the new FD wasn't supposed to work very well on non-new cranks, ie older Red stuff?

Not work on other cranks is what Sram's marketing department will tell you. I am running a force crankset with praxis classic rings 53/39T. You set high limit and then low limit and it shifts from point a to point b. No chainrub in any combo including small/small and big/big with my ultegra 6700 12-23.

BikeNerd2453

by BikeNerd2453

NWSAlpine wrote:
Not work on other cranks is what Sram's marketing department will tell you. I am running a force crankset with praxis classic rings 53/39T. You set high limit and then low limit and it shifts from point a to point b. No chainrub in any combo including small/small and big/big with my ultegra 6700 12-23.

Ok, thanks, interesting. I'm running Specialized carbon cranks, with Red 50/34t rings. Have installed a DA7800 front mech, but would rather run the full kit, and not have to spring for the cranks as I don't need them.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

So the people in the thread (2011 "old SRAM red vs 2012 "new" decision) that changed back from Yaw FD to Force FD are wrong? I doubt that.
I 100% believe that the Yaw FD works better then the old Red FD with ti cage, but I feel a bit hesitation to change my steel cage RED FD for a Yaw FD in combination with the old Red shifters. Is there also an increase in performance between the steel cage FD and the Yaw FD? If so, then I would love to have the Yaw FD for the fact that I don't have chain rub anymore, but then again I feel a bit doubt that this is possible without some problems?

aaric

by aaric

I'm running s-works cranks with 36/52 stronglight rings, and old red shifters. I initially ran an old ti red front derailleur, and switched to force for the steel cage. Finally, I went with a yaw FD, as the shifting was still lacking on my Tarmac SL3. The force FD with the same cranks works much better on my allez - I theorize the braze on mount on the allez is more stable.

The yaw derailleur with the old shifters works way better than the force FD on my Tarmac. I get no rub at all in the big ring; small ring, the 11 and 12 tooth cogs will rub slightly. Shifts are much quicker. The force FD worked ok, but it just never was as accurate and quick as the shifting on my allez, or the dura-ace on my wife's bike.

My allez with the force FD works fine. I'm not sure that I'll go to the trouble of sticking a yaw derailleur on it - though, I am tempted.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

BikeNerd2453 wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:

Ok, thanks, interesting. I'm running Specialized carbon cranks, with Red 50/34t rings. Have installed a DA7800 front mech, but would rather run the full kit, and not have to spring for the cranks as I don't need them.

Guy's I'm not guessing at this or asking SRAM... I have a new front mech on an old group set and it just plain works better.

I think Velonews covered most of the combinations and they also found that putting the 2012 Front der on the old SRAM group simply works quite a bit better.

The steel cage Force is a slight improvement, The 2012 RED is a substantial one, but I wouldnt change from the steel just to change... Frankly, any bitching about the steel one is mostly hot air. It works well. The Ti ones worked OK, but when you get the new one it's simply bang on.

That said, the entire new 2012 group is not only a breeze to set up, the whole thing works extremely well.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I just ordered a SRAM Yaw FD to add on to my current 2011 red groupset myself. I'm mostly concerned about my chain rings and crank not being compatible with the FD. I'm currently using the Cervelo branded Rotor 3d+ cranks. Would anybody know from any kind of experience of this would be an issue? Is there anything specific I need to know about how to set up or disregard the trim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timzcat

by timzcat

I just changed from a Force FD on a 2011 Red Black setup and the new 2012 YAW FD shifts that much better.
It's impressive how well it can shift small to big when the rear is on big. Not that you ever shift like that but it's a good indication.
Titanium Red just flat out couldn't do it and Force did it pretty well.

CerveloBert you have nothing to worry about. Follow the instructions with the derailleur and you will be golden. Trim will be unnecessary so you will just have an extra click when shifting to the small ring.
With a Front derailleur you are really just moving the cage between the limit screws so as long as there is appropriate pull ratio (which you have with old red) then any small changes in ring distances are not going to be an issue.