Civilian Viva Le Roi

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

chiltonp

by chiltonp

Saw these on competitive cyclist and they look intriguing. Anyone have any first hand experience/opinions on one?

Competitive cyclist quoted it at about ~18.5lbs. Does this sound legit for a steel frame with Apex 1x10?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thesergeant

by thesergeant

I saw this too. CC is showing something like 8.4kg for the complete bike, whereas Real Cyclist is showing 10.4kg

I'm pretty sure the 8.4kg is incorrect. They're claiming something like a 1480g frame made from 4130, with a beefy tapered headtube and sliding dropouts. I'm not buying it. it's gotta be in the 4.5-5lbs range.

When I saw that they were claming it was 8.4kg I almost sold my Chili Con Crosso to buy it.

Also, the rear spacing is 130mm, not 135. Sure you could stuff a 135mm hub in there but who wants to really struggle with that everytime you mount a wheel. The availability of 130mm disc hubs seems rather limited at this point.

jtsoderman

by jtsoderman

chiltonp wrote:Saw these on competitive cyclist and they look intriguing. Anyone have any first hand experience/opinions on one?

Competitive cyclist quoted it at about ~18.5lbs. Does this sound legit for a steel frame with Apex 1x10?

Hey, just got my Vive Le Roi from competitive, 23.8lbs using my bathroom scale, with pedals (don't have a more accurate one with more capacity.) Thus far, only ridden it through a soccer field and on the road. Feels great though, but a bit porky. It's mostly going to be a commuter bike for me so I'm not super concerned with weight. Just getting into cx this year so this is a entry level bike for me.

Hope this helps

Edit to add: 23.8lbs is 10.7kg for the rest of the world :)

gospastic

by gospastic

I just got a derailleur hanger dropout for my Le Roi Le Veut and put some gears on it. Currently sits at around 21 lbs. Heavy but not too bad for steel.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Got my le roi le veut the other day. The weights listed on CC do not include the frame, just all the other crap that comes on it.

The tektro brakes on mine were awful, but I already had a set of bb7s to go on it. If you're getting the geared one, it comes with these already.

I had to do quite a bit of work lot get it going out of the box, certainly not just pop in the wheels. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the expander plug from the fork, it doesn't look like an ordinary adjustable one, but rather a pressed in plug.

The paint work is ok, not great. Some spots missing paint altogether, one area from a large scratch, one where it wasn't primed properly and has flaked off and another where there is no paint at all.

Overall not bad, but I might have reconsidered had I seen it in the flesh. Pretty good for the price, the viva le roi is the better deal I think.