DI2 frame with internal routing can't take the cables intern

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JensW

by JensW

Omiar wrote:Seems that your frame doesn't have a hole, there are just those "ribs" to guide the mechanical shifting cables. So you must remove to bottom bracket cup from one side to put the junction box inside the frame.
You still need to get the battery and FD wires from to the junction box to the components - the easiest way i can think of is drilling the same "ribs", so that the path follows the wires logical route. I will try to snap a picture from my frame.

or drill o hole in the top of the seat post and have the battery under the saddle

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WasFab

by WasFab

JensW
How that solves the placing of the B junction? If I stay external, the box I have is not good. I can move the battery let say on the seat tube, can you explain what am I solving by that?

If you mean to use the internal B junction and to follow what Omiar said so the box will seat inside the frame and the battery wire will run up inside the seat tube but then where and how I hold the battery there, what do you mean under the saddle.
Thanks

WasFab

by WasFab

Finally my LBS got me what I wanted, they width a bit the internal housing The frame has, they did a great job and everything runs internally, neat and clean. I'll post some pictures soon!

JensW

by JensW

WasFab wrote:JensW
How that solves the placing of the B junction? If I stay external, the box I have is not good. I can move the battery let say on the seat tube, can you explain what am I solving by that?

If you mean to use the internal B junction and to follow what Omiar said so the box will seat inside the frame and the battery wire will run up inside the seat tube but then where and how I hold the battery there, what do you mean under the saddle.
Thanks

on the frame i had last year, i drilled i little hole in the top of the seatpost, so i could have the battery tucked in under the saddle, where you couldn´t se it if you didn´t search for it. i just straped it in with some Zip tie , of course, i had to cut the Zip ties every time you will charge the battery, but what is that, 1-2 times a year? :D

WasFab

by WasFab

Here are the pictures after the job was done. Everything running inside. The housing holes were expended to take the wires in. The chain stay was drilled in the back of it for the RD wire, the existing hole of the FD in the BB area was widen a bit to take the wires of the FD and the battery.
Comments are welcome!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by WasFab on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

micky

by micky

Much better! :thumbup:

Omiar

by Omiar

Good 4 you.
Did they drill a new hole in the chainstay?
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

WasFab

by WasFab

Omiar

Yes I'm not sure why they didn't expend the existing hole on the side of the chain stay. Could it be not to weaken the chain stay area if they drill the side, as I read few things about it but I'm not sure.

di2diy

by di2diy

WasFab wrote:Here are the pictures after the job was done. Everything running inside. The housing holes were expended to take the wires in. The chain stay was drilled in the back of it for the RD wire, the existing hole of the FD in the BB area was widen a bit to take the wires of the FD and the battery.
Comments are welcome!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Now all you need to do ts put the battery in the seat post, buy this kit on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290894530756?ss ... 1555.l2649), than Update the firmware in the other components and you can have MULTI-SHIFTING NOW SUPPORTED WITH ULTEGRA.