HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:02 am 

I have a Romin Pro saddle with carbon rails and a Deda Superzero seatpost. Unfortunately the Romin Pro slips towards the rear over the course of my ride each time I've used it. I don't notice it during the course of the ride, but when I get done, I see that its about 1cm or so back.

Any ideas on how to keep it in place? Would carbon paste do the trick? Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:13 am 

Carbon paste defiantly can't hurt! Are you useing a torque wrench? I ride a Romin Evo Pro and don't have any issues and I don't use carbon paste , but I do use a torque wrench.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:13 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:40 am 

Have been running a Romin Pro with a FSA SL-K not so Light seatpost without a problem for a year+. If i remember correctly there was a tag on the seat explicitly stating not to use carbon paste on it but I will check tomorrow. As already stated a torque wrench is super important and make sure the clamp is meant for the shape of the rails on the saddle!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:50 am 

Try

1) carbon paste
2) cotton tape

@ spec tq value

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 am 

Does the Superzero have the same clamping mechanism as the Zero 100? I have a Romin Pro with the Deda Zero 100 and have had absolutely no movement with over 3200 km. No carbon paste.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:12 pm 

If it says not to use carbon paste, maybe clean the surfaces with acetone,alcohol, then try some hairspray?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:27 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions. As far as I know the Zero100 does have the same clamping mech.

I think the biggest problem is that I don't have a torque wrench so I've been afraid to over tighten it and damage the carbon. However, I had my LBS install the seat originally along with a slew of other parts, and it slipped then as well. IOne would assume they tightened to proper torque, esp. b/c they are Specialized dealer and handle plenty of Romin installations. I am pretty sure the Romin Pro has a max clamping torque of 9nm and the Deda Superzero has a suggested torque of 8nm, so they should be compatible.

I will either take it back to the LBS or invest in a torque wrench.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Dallez wrote:
However, I had my LBS install the seat originally along with a slew of other parts, and it slipped then as well. IOne would assume they tightened to proper torque, esp. b/c they are Specialized dealer and handle plenty of Romin installations.
You should become a late night comedian, if you're not already. That is hilarious. What do you think the odds are that any given mechanic at an LBS which is a Specialized bicycle dealer, uses a torque wrench when installing or adjusting a saddle? The "mechanic" might even be a salesperson, since installing or adjusting a saddle is considered to be simple enough for anyone to do. There are some rather appalling practices at many LBS's, even at those whose lowest end bikes are much higher end than the lowest end Specialized bikes.

Go to an LBS and watch what the mechanics, no less the salespeople, do in full view of the customers. What do you think they do when there's no one watching? And of course, use of a torque wrench per se is rather meaningless if not associated with some particular torque, which is the "right", or at least a good, torque value.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:55 pm 

Totally!
GFs new Caad10, constant creaking from BB30, 5+ visits to Spesh Concept store (it has a another dealership owned by same dealer next door), no fix.
Eventually, I used my Torque wrench on the left hand crank, to correct value, issue vanished, head mechanic at store said that no one uses a Torque wrench as they are all experinced mechs and tighten by "feel" he said that i must have done something else or was lying :unbelievable:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:45 pm 

Dallez wrote:
I have a Romin Pro saddle with carbon rails and a Deda Superzero seatpost. Unfortunately the Romin Pro slips towards the rear over the course of my ride each time I've used it. I don't notice it during the course of the ride, but when I get done, I see that its about 1cm or so back.

Any ideas on how to keep it in place? Would carbon paste do the trick? Thanks for any advice.

I have the same exact post and saddle-0 problems. I torqued the clamp to spec and it hasn't budged a bit.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:45 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:52 pm 

KWalker wrote:
Dallez wrote:

I have the same exact post and saddle-0 problems. I torqued the clamp to spec and it hasn't budged a bit.

Thanks KWalker. Looks like I need to finally buy a torque wrench.