Light reliable tubes?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

What are some light reliable tubes out in the market? I'm currently having bad luck with Geax and Hutchinson.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

project3

by project3

Time to convert To tubeless

swaits

by swaits

Yep, convert to tubeless and don't look back. Works great!

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I wont be doing that anytime soon. I just purchased a pair of Continental Race King Supersonic. Plus the whole tubless system is heavier than a tubed system.

mikeyg

by mikeyg

Tubeless.

Its not heavier. Use some foam tape with crossweave tape to build the rim up. Choose a non-tubeless tyre that seals well, vredestein black panther works well with no sealant. Seal the bead with some sealant and a way you go.

You've just saved the weight of a tube minus the weight of soem foam tape and gaffa tape.

If the tyre doesnt stay inflated put a small amount of sealant in to seal the side walls. If you are racing putting more sealant in means that the tyre seals if you pinch the tyre.

jooo

by jooo

Tubeless shouldn't be much/any heavier if you set it up properly on a rim that is even remotely suitable.

But anyway, Maxxis Ultralights are good. No issues for me. Their Flyweights are lighter but I've heard lots of people having problems, not that I've used those (could just be people not installing them correctly :noidea: ).

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Sorry, i'm pretty late to the tubeless design. I've always ignored it. I have Stans Crest rims. Will I need a special rim to convert to tubeless? In the meantime i'll do some research.

swaits

by swaits

Nope. You just need the right width tape (see Stan's website), valve stems, sealant, and tires.

It's relatively easy. It seems important to get the tape on as tight as you possibly can. It may be useful to have an air compressor handy for the initial mounting and inflation, but many tires seem to mount just fine with a floor pump if the bead is positioned carefully. See the video section on the Stan's site for a demo of this.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

project3 wrote:have a look at this.

http://projecthree.blogspot.com/2011/03 ... tires.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just looked. WOW. I'm going to take a look at the Stan's Website.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com