Putting EPS on a "old school" bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfscott

by sfscott

I'm interested in retrofitting my carbon/Ti bike without internal routing with Campy EPS (have Record 11 now.)

Anyone have any experience with (or pictures) of how (or if) this can be done? I have one LBS saying it's gonna look fugly unless I start drilling holes in the frame, and other saying it's no big deal...just a few zip ties since the wires have no ferrules to fit in cable stays/bosses.

What say ye?

BTW, a new frame is out of the question, so please don't suggest that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobSantini

by BobSantini

If you fix the wires to the frame with clear mylar tape or helicopter tape that should look pretty clean.
r o y g b i v

edski

by edski

I thought about trying the same thing but I am not sure how water proof the EPS cable connectors are. Campy clearly wants them in the tubes. Calfee is offering a service to retrofit older non electric frames to accommodate internal wiring. Not sure on pricing but you might check with them. The cables appear pretty challenging to splice into as well. They are small and there are six conductors in each.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Would the external Di2 kit work for EPS? Can't remember if it has been mentioned in a previous thread

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Removed the 'comedy' replies, as this is likely a question to be asked more than once over the coming months.

edski

by edski

dereksmalls wrote:Would the external Di2 kit work for EPS? Can't remember if it has been mentioned in a previous thread

It may but the Campy connectors are slightly larger diameter and in different locations than the Di2.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think if you are handy with eletrial connetors you will be fine. If not find a eletrician who deals with the small stuff. Maybe someone who does alot of custom automotive wiring and ECU setups.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

sfscott wrote:Anyone have any experience with (or pictures) of how (or if) this can be done?

If you don't provide any information and pictures about what frame that actully is, then one can only say drill it or send it to Calfee.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022