USADA Banned Armstrong new Doping Allegations

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Guys, had to intervene and delete quotes (come on!) and some less than polite language.

Let's keep it classy or the thread will get shut down.

And please, please, please do not quote the post that precedes your own.

If you have questions, PM me. Thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Has anyone asked why Congressman Sensenbrenner would take a personal interest in the Lance Armstrong matter?

Well, Congressman Sensenbrenner represents the 5th Congressional District of Wisconsin http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/District/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , which includes part of Jefferson County. Trek Bicycle Corporation is headquartered in and has manufacturing operations in Waterloo, Wisconsin, which is in Jefferson County, but not in the 5th Congressional District, and is about 15 miles away from its border. Trek and its employees represent a significant part of the tax revenues of Jefferson County, some of whose residents are in the 5th Congressional District. I suspect many of the employees of Trek live in the 5th Congressional district. Lance Armstrong has an ownership stake in Trek, and the reputation of Lance Armstrong could significantly impact Trek's sales, profits, and number of employees.

I believe the technical legal expression for this is: "What a coinkydink."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

^ wild stab in the dark, something along the lines of "Armstrong for President."

Well, maybe not at the moment.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So, where are we?

USADA forces Armstrong into a corner. Unfortunately the evidence is stacked against him thus far.
Armstrong uses his lawyers to stir up public support among his endless throng of blind followers. Those that are left, at least.
Armstrong's lawyers make claims which may not hold a candle in court, but will make the layman public believe that the USADA is a rogue organization that is operating unfairly.
Armstrong pokes his local congressman to stir up more layman public interest with a scathing letter depicting the USADA as a waste of taxpayer dollars (ignoring of course the congressman's own voting records and his ties to Armstrong).

So if Armstrong has his way, the USADA will no longer exist after all of this?
Will the US be known for athletes that are doped to the gills, go untested, and most importantly for armchair congressmen, winning against the world?
Will the United States become a larger example of the NFL, where "testing" occurs but under their own terms and the only violations are for recreational drugs?
(Because, well, 300lb men are able to run 50yds in a matter of seconds like Usain Bolt, naturally.)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Currently 300 lb. men in the NFL need an oxygen bottle at the end of those 50 yards. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

airwise

by airwise

Armstrong really is calling in the favours now. Where was this congressman when the federal budget was funding a year long investigation involving global travel and the ongoing costs of Novitsky's team? Was he not concerned about tax payers' money then? Surely the majority of Americans can see through this?

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

The USADA deadline is tomorrow isn't it ?
edit: ... should have checked the news yesterday!
Last edited by strobbekoen on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

airwise wrote:Surely the majority of Americans can see through this?

You wildly overestimate the intelligence of an awful lot of Americans...
They kinda have a track record of believing whatever trash the media feed them.

So Lance is mixing in a load of politics here? Why does everything in America have to get political? We all know about the greasy and dodgy politics in America. This is why we can't have nice things.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

I wonder what would we all do if we were in Armstrongs position...?

astranoc

by astranoc

majklnajt wrote:I wonder what would we all do if we were in Armstrongs position...?

Go hide in a cave never to be seen again? You obviously can't come up and confess at this stage.. so just hide...

maquisard

by maquisard

Given that the reason for the previous Federal investigation getting thrown out probably had a bit of political 'assistance', you can see the angle his lawyers are taking.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It did have "political assistance." The previous Federal investigation wasn't "thrown out," it was just simply cancelled. Basically Armstrong coerced/convinced/bribed one person involved to call off the investigation without first discussing it with the other members of the prosecution. Everyone involved in the investigation - except for that one person - were completely shocked by what happened.
Last edited by prendrefeu on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

airwise

by airwise

majklnajt wrote:I wonder what would we all do if we were in Armstrongs position...?

Buy a very large quantity of coke and a sizeable villa near Cancun.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Well, Armstrong is bi.

He could time trial, he could climb. That's a winning combination.

He got help from Democrats (U.S. Attorney appointed by Democratic President), he's getting help from a Republican Congressman. That makes him bipartisan. Will that be a winning combination? Money and influence know no political party.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

So they might not want thast the giant falls, because that would make a lot of damage?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com