new frame defects

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

caballero

by caballero

Hey all.
Just wondering what your course of action would be if you had a new frame delivered (from a well known high end manuf.) That had multiple cosmetic issues ?
To be specific a crack (either paint or carbon) near ss bottle mount ) multiple paint bubbles in various parts of the frame as well as a cut/scratch that goes through all paint/clear coat/ undercoat to the carbon below.
Company sais its only cosmetic I'm pissed.

What should i do to get a replacement btw frame is brand new.

civdic

by civdic

I'd be pissed too. Did you buy it through a LBS or an online source?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The above question...

If it were a retailer, I wouldnt have accepted the frame. And they should deal with the manufacturer for you.

If you bought it Ebay you got what you likely paid for.

caballero

by caballero

Id rather not mention the maker publicly Just yet. The frame was bought direct from the maker. I paid retail for the frame. Not an ebay or grey market purchase.
very frustrating so far....

roca rule

by roca rule

In that case request a warranty replacement. I imagine that the manufacturer is somebody along the lines if canyon or maybe planetx :?:
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

roca rule

by roca rule

Paint bubbles are something common that might not get you a replacement. The other issues might be the freight or courier.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Just tell canyon that you aren't happy and that a new frame shouldn't have any issues, let alone cosmetic ones. I don't think a replacement would be too much to expect.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

jsinclair wrote:Just tell canyon that you aren't happy and that a new frame shouldn't have any issues, let alone cosmetic ones. I don't think a replacement would be too much to expect.

I do, I've seen lots of carbon frames with finish issues... seems to be the effect of mass production.

caballero wrote:To be specific a crack (either paint or carbon) near ss bottle mount )

If there's a crack then I'd be trying to get a replacement under warranty
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

michel2

by michel2

if you pay full retail for an a quality product then you should not accept any less that a quality, i imagine the samples you saw , be it online or in the showroom, didn't show those paint issue's ?

nspace

by nspace

Totally would send it back for refund. I am growing tired of manufacturers (in general, not just bike manufacturers) who expect people to pay top dollar for their products and in turn foolishly expect them to accept subpar QC. It's like buying a LCD tv with dead pixels out of the box, and then getting hit with the BS that there has to be so many dead pixels within a certain area for it to be be replaced or eligible for warranty.

Don't give in. As much as the frame may be totally safe to ride, cosmetic or not it shouldn't be tolerated. Cosmetics are a part of it, or else these companies wouldn't spend so much time on paint and graphic schemes and designing stuff to look a certain way.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

pics?

jsinclair

by jsinclair

verycreativeusername wrote:I do, I've seen lots of carbon frames with finish issues... seems to be the effect of mass production.

By that logic, bikes produced in bigger batches will have more defects. This doesn't really hold true though.

Considering they are made by giant, which produce on a bigger scale than anyone else, I would expect the quality to be quite good. I've owned two giants and neither had noticeable paint defects. I believe you own one too.

caballero

by caballero

I was expecting a call from the above mentioned company yesterday which never came.
Im going to call them in a few hours when they open and go from there.
I wont post pics until Ive contacted them again.

BreakfastClub

by BreakfastClub

I've experienced more than just cosmetic defects from a well known "boutique" brand that involved alignment issues. I contacted them directly and they went above and beyond to remedy the situation, although initially they said everything was with specification. I've been satisfied for the most part but still a bit disappointed it happened in the first place. Hope you get things sorted out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

jsinclair wrote:
verycreativeusername wrote:I do, I've seen lots of carbon frames with finish issues... seems to be the effect of mass production.

By that logic, bikes produced in bigger batches will have more defects. This doesn't really hold true though.

Considering they are made by giant, which produce on a bigger scale than anyone else, I would expect the quality to be quite good. I've owned two giants and neither had noticeable paint defects. I believe you own one too.

I've got some finish issues (or what I think are finish issues) on mine, only visible when the lighting is *just* right, could just be the way its clear coated :noidea:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)