$1k to spend on gruppo, What Would You Do?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

russianbear

by russianbear

Full ultegra group on ribble is a hair under $800.

Full carbon chorus 11sp is ~$1100 skip on the brakes and you're in budget.

Full sram force is $840.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Force is lighter than Ultegra.
This is Weight Weenies. :smartass:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

transamman1999 wrote:wow, lots of Sram fans here eh?

It hasn't got anything to do with being a Sram fan or not. When you ask for opinions on a gruppo + pedals for $1000 people tend to come up with ideas based on value, and the value is in the shifters more than anything else. It's sad to say but $1000 just doesn't get you to high up the latter with groupsets nowadays(not that the entry level stuff is bad in anyway), but if your creative you could get a lot more value for your money than simply buying a new ultegra, or Force group.

Off the top of my head I can't see how you could get into even a used Chorus group all in with fresh chain/cables, and a reasonably newish casette + pedals + make your rear wheel compatible for $1000. Would be cool to see if someone can. OP what kind of wheels do you already have?

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I'd definitely do a used Red/Force mash up. Sram offers great performance and weight for the $$

transamman1999

by transamman1999

aaric wrote:
transamman1999 wrote:wow, lots of Sram fans here eh? I've only ever ridden with Shimano components but def wouldn't mind trying out anything Sram. Is parted out Sram gear generally cheaper than Shimano, or are just not many ppl here fans of Shimano?.

Shimano is good stuff. A lot of people aren't all that fond of 7900 though.

SRAM is lighter, and cheaper, and they just released a new red groupset. As such, there's a lot of older red being cleared out, so the prices are great. If you are on a budget, its hard to beat the SRAM offerings IMO, especially since you can pickup the old red bits that make a big difference cheap at the moment.

Also, rival derailleurs perform as well or better than the old SRAM red, and are damned cheap for what they are. They also are black, which you asked for ;)

Wow, amazing post, answered many if not all of my questions and then some!! Thank you!
All of my wheelsets have Shimano/Sram compatible hubs.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Personally I can't stand SRAM's double tap shifters but that a personal prefernce. I like Shimano soley for the wheel choice and shifting slickness but still (and do) only use Campagnolo. My choice for your budget would Centaur carbon. The three reasons why I like Campag are;
1) the shifters are pleasure to use, a paddle for the upshift, a lever button for the downshift and brake lever that is only that, all positioned in a ideal way.
2) left shifter is not fully indexed like SRAM or shimano allowing you to trim the FD position to avoid all chain rub even when cross chaining, which I don't do anyway so kind of pointless but I like it none the less.
3) Campagnolo kit is so much more pretty- persopnal preference though.

From a weight wennies point of view I think Centaur carbon might be like than 105 as well. For pedals Shimano makle the best for the price so I would use those.

tadrums

by tadrums

I'd try grabbin a used 10 or 11sp Campy Chorus gruppo/Speedplay X2 pedals.
TA

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

bm0p700f wrote:left shifter is not fully indexed like SRAM or shimano allowing you to trim the FD position to avoid all chain rub even when cross chaining, which I don't do anyway so kind of pointless but I like it none the less.

SRAM Red levers allow for trim.
Can be found used on the cheap, perfect working order.
And they're lighter.

SRAM Red levers also have both adjustable reach.

I understand that you personally, as stated, do not like the feel of double-tap, which is fine. To each their own. That being said, at least know the features of each drivetrain for a proper opinion. :beerchug:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I should have not typed SRAM that was a non-deliberate mistake. I changed the sentence around abit and left an error in. I am aware that with SRAM you can trim the FD. Although given the error pendrefu I think pointing out the error (wqhich is fine) and then adding what you did is a bit too much. You made assumptions about the error which may not be true.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You are correct, I wrote too much.

transamman1999

by transamman1999

tadrums wrote:I'd try grabbin a used 10 or 11sp Campy Chorus gruppo/Speedplay X2 pedals.

allow me to re-iterate, Campy is out of the question, I have only Shimano/Sram compatible hubs.

And speedplays....NEVER again. not for me. no matter how much I tried to dial them in I could never ride them without knee pain. SPD-SL work for me and I'll be sticking with them.

thanks everyone for your input. Thru pure naivete I had no idea how affordable Sram Red from 1-2 seasons ago has become!
So far I think I'll be going w/ (although it's likely to change a couple dozen more times lol)
Force brifters and crankset
Red RD & FD
Rival BB and Brakes
Ultegra Cassette
KMC chain

istigatrice

by istigatrice

what do people think of the microshift arsis stuff? That sounds like an option too, but I can't find that much info about it.

EDIT: Looks like a boat anchor when compared to SRAM :oops:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

i was able to get the new sram red group off eBay for about 1.2k by buying the pieces one at a time. There gonna go on a caad10! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

transamman1999 wrote:
tadrums wrote:I'd try grabbin a used 10 or 11sp Campy Chorus gruppo/Speedplay X2 pedals.

allow me to re-iterate, Campy is out of the question, I have only Shimano/Sram compatible hubs.

And speedplays....NEVER again. not for me. no matter how much I tried to dial them in I could never ride them without knee pain. SPD-SL work for me and I'll be sticking with them.

thanks everyone for your input. Thru pure naivete I had no idea how affordable Sram Red from 1-2 seasons ago has become!
So far I think I'll be going w/ (although it's likely to change a couple dozen more times lol)
Force brifters and crankset
Red RD & FD
Rival BB and Brakes
Ultegra Cassette
KMC chain

Switch to a force FD unless you can finds steel cage one