Power and cyclocross

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dwilson

by dwilson

I wonder if racing with power is extremely useful. I currently have a wired powertap system on clincher wheels. I am currently trying to upgrade (in the process of getting a quarq) and wonder how useful the race data is. I am looking forward to cyclocross and wonder about using it for that. I think it would be useful for my road races/crits to know when I'm overworking myself or when I could push harder and make a move. Is using power during a race extremely helpful? I typically use my race wheels for shorter races, but use the powertap for longer road races. I will be riding/racing on tubulars for cyclocross and therefore can't use the powertap.

Thoughts, ideas, input? Thanks!

gumdad

by gumdad

I have found power data from my cross races nice to analyze, but as far as using it for "pacing" during cross races, I think it's pretty useless since the races have so many short bursts and micro accelerations. I have recorded data during weeknight "training" cross races, but I actually put the unit in my pocket so I couldn't see it. When racing, I figure if I can possibly go harder, then I will. You'll get a feel of just how hard you can go for an hour, and when it's best to lay down your hardest efforts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markrhino

by markrhino

i'd be interested to hear about the power outputs during Cx compared to normal road riding?