Newbie Light Touring Frame

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

Hey all,

So I'm building my first touring bike for light touring (10 day trips or less) and commuting. I'm looking for an entry level touring frame and right now this is my short list:

All-City Space Horse
Salsa Casserole
Civia Kingfield

What do you think?

Now I know what you're thinking: "RollingGoat! Why no Surly LHT or Soma Saga?" Well, I'm on the short side of average so in my size the LHT and Saga are designed for 650b wheels and I'd really prefer to stick with 700c
I'm so rubbish at this.

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

The Pake C'mute has been my cross bike for two years now. Clearly not a WW bike, but seems to be very close to what you would expect from Soma in terms of weight/quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I'm currently using a Salsa Fargo as my touring bike, the only reason I went with this over the Casseroll or Vaya is I do a fair bit of off road touring so wanted to be able to run fatter tires some of the time. Been really happy with it so far and the build quality is very good with a few nice little details and touches that you wouldn't get from a major brand.

My boss in the shop I worked in when I got it bought himself a Casseroll after seeing the Fargo frame and seems to be very happy with no problems in the year/5000 miles!

jooo

by jooo

What 'size' are you after?

26" wheels are very common for smaller touring frames.

Oh and not that it makes a difference if you're sticking with 700c but the small wheeled LHT's are for 26" wheels not 650b :thumbup:

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

jooo wrote:What 'size' are you after?

26" wheels are very common for smaller touring frames.

Oh and not that it makes a difference if you're sticking with 700c but the small wheeled LHT's are for 26" wheels not 650b :thumbup:

Well in that case I stand corrected.

I'm looking for something with up to a 52cm effective top tube, which works out to be the smallest or second to smallest size for most bikes.
I'm so rubbish at this.

Deaver

by Deaver

Another to consider is the Soma Double Cross. It is availble in the geo's you suggested. I am riding one and use it for the activities you wish and I love mine.

Click HERE

jalapeno

by jalapeno

the casseroll is sweet as a light tourer, very comfy and quick enough, rode mine around parts of Eastern Europe with a light rack on the back and a couple of small panniers.
http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/the-steel-end-of-the-spectrum/
-------------------
Gravitas est meus Hostilis
Painted Roads Cycling: http://www.paintedroads.com
Words: http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com