Custom build - Kinlin XR with Alchemy or Tune

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I weigh between 170-175lbs looking to have a set of wheels built and just trying to decide.
Looking for something light weight and durable. I am currently running Ksyrium SL's and looking to upgrade would this be a good direction to go and what are some ride characteristics I might notice.

KINLIN XR200 RIMS
ALCHEMY ELF/ORC HUBSET
SAPIN CXRAY SPOKES

OR

KINLIN XR200 RIMS
TUNE MIG70/MAG 170 HUBSET
SAPIN CXRAY SPOKES

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I'm not one who typically mixes traits. I usually try to keep light rims with light hubs. To me it doesn't make sense to go for a heavier more robust hub like the Alchemy into a set of rims that is designed to be light with no other real goal. You loose the weight advantage of the rim by using a heavier hub and you loose some of the rigidity benefit of the hub by using a rim that isn't stiff enough. For me personally the gains don't make up for the drawbacks. I do understand trying to balance the traits and get a compromise in the wheel but for me personally I like to try to find one direction to take the wheels. Obviously every gain means giving up something else.

I say if you're dead set on 200 rims go with Tune hubs and be light.
If you really want Alchemy hubs get a rim that matches their characteristics better, like the 270.

mjduct

by mjduct

good answer, I think the alchemys would be sick on s 23mm wide rim. any news FWB on when yours will be available?

G6612

by G6612

I went with the following.

KINLIN XR-19W (24FRONT/28REAR)
CX-RAY SPOKES
CHRIS KING R45'S HUBS

I will post my thoughts once they come in.
I hope this will be a nice setup and I will see a difference from my Mavic SL's.

bricky21

by bricky21

You should have taken Madcows advice.

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

madcow wrote:I'm not one who typically mixes traits. I usually try to keep light rims with light hubs. To me it doesn't make sense to go for a heavier more robust hub like the Alchemy into a set of rims that is designed to be light with no other real goal. You loose the weight advantage of the rim by using a heavier hub and you loose some of the rigidity benefit of the hub by using a rim that isn't stiff enough. For me personally the gains don't make up for the drawbacks. I do understand trying to balance the traits and get a compromise in the wheel but for me personally I like to try to find one direction to take the wheels. Obviously every gain means giving up something else.

I say if you're dead set on 200 rims go with Tune hubs and be light.
If you really want Alchemy hubs get a rim that matches their characteristics better, like the 270.

This is a really good recommendation.

My training wheels are a set of custom-built HED C2 rims, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, and White Industries H2/3 hubs, 28 double-crossed front wheel and 32 triple-crossed rear wheel, for $900.

I have been lusting for a more aero set of wheels.

Although I really like the 23mm width of the HED C2 rims and the aluminum brake track, I can not get myself to pay retail for the HED Jet 6 FR's @$2000 with no discounts in sight!

I have been thinking about getting a set of custom-built wheels: Enve Smart 3.4 (too stiff and harsh? and may not durable enough?) or Zipp 303.

Pairing with Chris King R45, White Industries, or Tune Mig/Mag?

Mark

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I would have thrown in a vote for the Alchemy hubs on the 200s. That isn't the stiffest rim out there, which is why the wide flange spacing of the Alchemys would have been good.
I think you will be stoked on the Kings. I like the RingDrive system and durability is consistently solid.

-Roland

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

For what it is worth, I had a set of Alchemy hubs built to XR300 rims with Sapim CX Rays 32f/32r and the set came in at 1,509 grams. I was in the Dolomites last month and ended up riding these wheels over the Shamal Ultras on most days. The platform was rock solid and very appreciated on the descents (88kg rider). I agree with Madcow, the Alchemy's deserve a stiffer rim than the XR200 to help the hubs really shine.

dudu

by dudu

Stolichnaya wrote:For what it is worth, I had a set of Alchemy hubs built to XR300 rims with Sapim CX Rays 32f/32r and the set came in at 1,509 grams. I was in the Dolomites last month and ended up riding these wheels over the Shamal Ultras on most days. The platform was rock solid and very appreciated on the descents (88kg rider). I agree with Madcow, the Alchemy's deserve a stiffer rim than the XR200 to help the hubs really shine.

Stoli - I'm actually exactly same weight (88kg / 195lbs) and have my eyes set on new Shamals Ultra. Can you compare XR300/Aclhemy 32f/32r ride to Shamals? This would be my 'go to the mountains' wheelset as I already have Campy Boras and cheapo Campy Vento.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The Shamals Ultras (clinchers, ti gray, non-CULT bearing) are less that 100 grams lighter overall than the Alchemy build. The Shamals are wonderful wheels. I would highly recommend them, they are bomb proof even at our weight, they roll even better with a little mileage on them and they look like rolling art. The Alchemy wheelset felt more assuring on the descents, especially in hard curves, perhaps because of the wide flanges (which attracted me to Alchemy in the first place). I cannot quantify this with data, but the Alchemy hubs give the sensation of rolling much smoother, which is saying something as the Campy hubs are already exceptional in my opinion.

I used the Shamals exclusively last year for the same week in the Dolomites. I used them for a few days this year as well before going to the Alchemy set. Comparing speeds on certain descents from last year to this year, the Shamals appears to have provided some extra speed over the Alchemy wheelset (same rider weight both years, same tires, same pressure and it was even raining last year every day! Perhaps I am just getting older and more risk averse... nah.)

The Shamals have not needed any truing so far. The Alchemy wheelset needed some truing after 5 hard days of grinding them up various passos - which may be a wheelbuilder factor or just my inability to climb with cadence. They were not so out of true or lacking of tension that I could not ride them, but it was enough to notice. If you have a competent wheelbuilder in your area (which I do not) then the Alchemy hubs are a excellent option. Having corresponded with Alchemy, their customer service is very personal, prompt and appreciated. I am a fan of both wheelsets so it is hard to make a recommendation one way or the other.

On a side note, both wheelsets are running with Veloflex Master clinchers, latex tubes and ti QRs. Pressure is aimed at 125 psi rear and 118 front. And I have Madcow to thank for the Alchemy hubs and XR300 rims. Thanks, Madcow!

Thirstyman

by Thirstyman

I agree with the recommendation to pair like hubs and rims. While it goes beyond the OP original question, my experience with Kinlin and Alchemy,for what ever it is worth, is below.

I built up Kinlin tb-25 (24 front, 28 rear) with Alchemy ELF and ORC and Sapim c-xray. After about 5000 miles I am still very pleased with the performance of all the components and love the smooth hubs. These are stiff wheels - partly due to geometry and partly spoke tension. I have ridden them with tires at PSI of 130 rear and 120 front. 1408 grams on my scale. $850 on my wallet. I built these up with spoke tensions of 110 front and 110-115 rear drive side. I weigh 170lbs and these are my main training wheels. The only negative thing that I can say is that the ride is a bit harsh and it gets to me after 13-15 hour weeks. In comparison to my Zipp 404 FC wheels the above build offers considerably less comfort. My 2011 Zipps 404 FC wheels tip my scale at 1350 grams (way above spec) and close to the Kinlin build but spin up much quicker with the weight less concentrated at the very outside of the tire bed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com