Veloflex Master 23

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mriddle

by mriddle

I've ridden the 22 version for the past couple years and loved them. So I was very excited to see the new 23 version this spring and ordered a set. Mounted them this weekend and they are actually slightly narrower than the 22? I even checked them with a pair of digital calipers. Did I get some 22s marked as 23? Anyone have the 23 that is actually 23?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Did you mount them on the same rim? Did you measure your old 22's on the same rim with the same pressure? Rim width and tire pressure effect the width of the tires when mounted.

c50jim

by c50jim

I bought some a couple of months ago and found the measurements, both new off the wheels and on the same rims at the same pressure, to be identical to some old 22s I had in stock and on wheels.

Dimitri

by Dimitri

tires do seem to "grow" a little width wise over time.

c50jim

by c50jim

I was comparing the measurement of new 22s with new23s and mounted 22s and 23s since I had tires both mounted and never used.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

c50jim wrote:I bought some a couple of months ago and found the measurements, both new off the wheels and on the same rims at the same pressure, to be identical to some old 22s I had in stock and on wheels.

The "old" 22mm Veloflex tyres already had a tendency to come in at slightly wider than 22mm (22.5mm being the average) but still within Veloflex range of allowable tolerance.

From what I measured so far they're still the same as before and to put it quite frankly, I'm glad they haven't changed a thing.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I can't speak to the Veloflex Master but for both the Veloflex Carbon and Veloflex Roubaix the change from 22mm to 23mm (Carbons) and from 24mm to 25mm (Roubaix) the change is real and measurable. I also thought at first that it might be just a marketing name change to go along with the wider tire trend. But I have mounted both old and new Carbons, Roubaixs and the newer all black Arrenberg (25mm) on identical rims and measured them. The new tires are indeed about a millimeter wider. I for one appreciate the move from 22 to 23mm for the Carbons. Haven't had the opportunity to try the new 25's to see how they feel when compared to the 24's but I have a set of 25mm Arrenbergs (black Roubaixs) that I will be able to try out shortly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mriddle

by mriddle

Thanks for the comments, I was hoping Veloflex's 23 would actually be wider than their 22s. I can't stress enough how good these tires are for clinchers, just wish they were a bit wider.

Caad9

by Caad9

So i've just had my first ride on a set of veloflex masters. Love them, however installing them was a PIA. I had no problem getting the beads onto the rim, it was getting the tube to sit flush with the rim that was a hassle. Long gone are the days where I can install a tyre without levers.

Would you guys be able to share any tips/tricks to installing the masters?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Long gone are the days where I can install a tyre without levers.

Well, you should not use tyre levers to install a Veloflex tyre. It overstretches the bead locally which may in turn lead to a blowout especially when using latex inner tubes.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I have Master on my hands right now and in the Operating instructions is written: Do not use carbon fibre rims.
:shock:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mriddle

by mriddle

I've found that the new 25 is the same as the 23, which is the same as the old 22....
Went back to Vittoria, their 25 is actually 25.

trilocus

by trilocus

rainerhq wrote:I have Master on my hands right now and in the Operating instructions is written: Do not use carbon fibre rims.
:shock:

Do you know why not??

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

rainerhq

by rainerhq

No. I hope someone can explain.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I guess it has to do with heat.