Cleaning Aluminum brake track`

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

timzcat

by timzcat

So what does everyone to clean pad material from aluminum brake tracks?

I have tried a number of methods and am looking for input on what works best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Mavic used to make a cleaning block for that purpose which was very effective. Don't know if it's still available.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

RServranckx

by RServranckx

Windex and rag. I'm serious... Works perfectly - my LBS gave me that trick.

Rob

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Whatever multipurpose cleaning product my wife allows me to use from under the sink. Honestly.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Mavic rubber still available! Used on mine recently and came up a treat.

eric

by eric

Usually I just wipe it off with a paper towel. But I had some persistent brake pulsing on an XR270 and cleaned its brake tracks off with acetone (on a paper towel). That cut the pulsing down quite a bit.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

If the rims aren't too scuffed up, a paper towel with some isopropyl alcohol should do the trick. If they are real bad, then you can get what is called a gummy stone, usually reserved for tuning ski edges. They are pretty cheap, and should help to clean off any excess debris or imperfections.

russianbear

by russianbear

I found brake cleaner (the automotive product) works the best for me. Small amount on a rag and rims look brand new in a couple minutes.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

White spirit works great (in The Netherlands we call it 'wasbenzine'). Way cheaper than most brake track cleaners.

quattrings

by quattrings

SWijland wrote:White spirit works great (in The Netherlands we call it 'wasbenzine'). Way cheaper than most brake track cleaners.

wasbenzine is something different than white spirit. It is a very effective cleaner for brake tracks :thumbup:
So is acetone, white spirit, dish washing soap and a scotchbrite pad, petrol, thinner, brake cleaner and isopropyl alcohol. :D

Just use whatever you've got lying around and also use the most effective cleaner: elbow grease.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I would not advise to use acetone as this will dissolve decals and stickers that are not under the clear coat and it will dissolve some clear coats.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Zen Cyclery wrote:If the rims aren't too scuffed up, a paper towel with some isopropyl alcohol should do the trick. If they are real bad, then you can get what is called a gummy stone, usually reserved for tuning ski edges. They are pretty cheap, and should help to clean off any excess debris or imperfections.

What are the gummy stones made from? I googled it but didn't see anything.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Zen Cyclery wrote:If the rims aren't too scuffed up, a paper towel with some isopropyl alcohol should do the trick. If they are real bad, then you can get what is called a gummy stone, usually reserved for tuning ski edges. They are pretty cheap, and should help to clean off any excess debris or imperfections.

What are the gummy stones made from? I googled it but didn't find any info about the material.

Thanks.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

sanrensho wrote:What are the gummy stones made from? I googled it but didn't find any info about the material.

Thanks.

Good question actually. I am not totally sure on this one. If I had to take a guess though I would think that it is some sort of rubber compound with steel shavings in the rubber. They remove minimal amounts of material seeing as they are designed for 2mm thick ski edges.

If you decide to go with one, I would say go with the medium softness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Zen Cyclery wrote:
If you decide to go with one, I would say go with the medium softness.

Thanks for the info and advice.