BOYD/SOUL/PISMET/ROL/LIGERO WHICH IS SUPPOSED THE BEST?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

transamman1999

by transamman1999

also, in response to PSIMET's long lead time w/ emails, I think he's gotten much better at responding. My communications w/ him were frequent and fairly quick. I think the most important thing is to inform him right off the bat that you're seriously interested in purchasing a wheelset and that you're ready to PayPal him as soon as you agree on a configuration. He gets so many bs emails every day that I can imagine how difficult it must be to weed out the silly non-serious questions with the serious buyers.

I think it only took 5-6 emails each to get to the final invoice and to send him my payment (2-3 days tops from my original email).

So don't let other ppl sway you away from him because of email response. If you decide to go with him just include "money in hand", "ready to buy today", etc in the email subject or in the very first sentence so as to grab his attention. It worked splendidly for me. Just do your research and know roughly what you're looking for or at least your price range and what you're looking for in your wheelset.

lechat

by lechat

RAFIUDEEN wrote:Hi,
Must have spent 100 hours reading endless threads to arrive at the following conclusions;-
considered all the following options
Soul/Pismet/Boyd/Williams/Ligero//Rev/Rol and many more if while you r reading the this thread and find any name missing ask me will tell you if i had considered it in my short list

1> First to be out is williams as one they dont give you the hubs you want and dont change as per client requirement ? it is supposed to be custom built wheels right ? anyways even then i was a little inclined due to positive ratings but then the killer was they dont ship it to my country.

2>Second out was ROL very good review on their wheels but kinda I lost favor tempted with superb decals unknown ,not much reviewed hubs )but all have favorable ratings but left out because did not feel like it no technical drawbacks at all strange explanation but its more personal then anything . Ok after thinking hard found very few threads on this wheel even though in the wheels rating section their r almost 70 people giving it higher 4 + ratings.(for a spesific model ROL RACE SL)

3>Soul read a lot of rev reviews about the wheels but their r a few riders who had soul and another custom built wheel will not name which one who felt the other was better and my analysis resulted in seeing that conners were cut in the hubs and spokes (even though they might be very good but were not known and much reviewed-made from some Taiwanese manufacturer).

4> Rest of the pack in my review is Rev the wheel set was not impressed ,compelling value though.

5>SO finally wanna decide between Boyd/Pismet and awaiting Ligero inquiry mail.Found Pismet quality value proposition the best Boyd just behind..... keep in touch will know soon who wins the race for me

inviting your valuable comments

I'm also considering an upgrade from the BWW Blackset on my light bike. To me the Soul 2.0s seem a notch above the others in that the hubs and rims were developed as a system. And from the reviews produce a surprisingly stiff wheel. A bit of lateral flex may not be anathema, but I like the feeling of tautness they convey, especially with ~14lb build. Bike Radar even listed their stiffness as a possible negative in terms of ride quality. I'm sure you could duplicate them with light rims and boutique hubs, but not easily for the $. Also easily maintained. Inexpensive cartridge bearings and 1 spoke length.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobSantini

by BobSantini

I'm a little dubious about the reliability of Soul wheels. Their rear hubs have an extreme tension ratio and they don't do triplet lacing.

+1 on the shouting and the rest is pretty hard to read too.
r o y g b i v

HarryS

by HarryS

I have the Soul S2.0 Clinchers.

I like them, really light (around 1300g), well built and have remained true after about 2,000 km so far. I didnt pay much attention to the hubs but a well respected bike mechanic / wheel builder in Melbourne commented that they were nice hubs when he looked over my bike.

I have however removed them in place of some Fulcrum wheels I had originally on my bike. Reason being is that the Soul rim is very narrow and it makes replacing flats a real nightmare (for me atleast). I think the rim is 19mm across the brake track and in the region of 14mm inside. Im in the market for a good set of 23mm wide wheels in the 1500g range now.

RAFIUDEEN

by RAFIUDEEN

yes precisely looking out for rims that r at least 23 mm width and 28 mm depth

transamman1999

by transamman1999

RAFIUDEEN wrote:yes precisely looking out for rims that r at least 23 mm width and 28 mm depth

I still suggest going full custom (PSIMET). I have absolutely no relation to the business except for being a customer. but a very satisfied customer at that.

Honestly, going with cheap hubs can make even the most amazing rims on Earth feel lackluster. I'd much rather ride no-name Taiwanese carbon rims laced to quality hubs than Lightweight brand rims laced to cheap, no-name Asian wholesale hubs.

Kneedragon

by Kneedragon

transamman1999 wrote:also, in response to PSIMET's long lead time w/ emails, I think he's gotten much better at responding. My communications w/ him were frequent and fairly quick. I think the most important thing is to inform him right off the bat that you're seriously interested in purchasing a wheelset and that you're ready to PayPal him as soon as you agree on a configuration. He gets so many bs emails every day that I can imagine how difficult it must be to weed out the silly non-serious questions with the serious buyers.

I think it only took 5-6 emails each to get to the final invoice and to send him my payment (2-3 days tops from my original email).

So don't let other ppl sway you away from him because of email response. If you decide to go with him just include "money in hand", "ready to buy today", etc in the email subject or in the very first sentence so as to grab his attention. It worked splendidly for me. Just do your research and know roughly what you're looking for or at least your price range and what you're looking for in your wheelset.

I was deciding between PSIMET and Boyd back in January and I sent PSIMET an email inquiring about wheels. He never responded, so that made my decision quite easy. I ended up contacting Boyd and we went back and forth with emails over the course of a few hours, because he was responding quickly. I ended up getting my Boyd wheels built with Alchemy hubs, and they're fantastic.

I find it silly that I would need to advertise that I'm ready to buy with "money in hand" just to get a response. What happens when you need after sales service? Do I need to flash a few bills to get an answer? :roll:

RAFIUDEEN

by RAFIUDEEN

transamman1999 wrote:
RAFIUDEEN wrote:yes precisely looking out for rims that r at least 23 mm width and 28 mm depth

I still suggest going full custom (PSIMET). I have absolutely no relation to the business except for being a customer. but a very satisfied customer at that.

Honestly, going with cheap hubs can make even the most amazing rims on Earth feel lackluster. I'd much rather ride no-name Taiwanese carbon rims laced to quality hubs than Lightweight brand rims laced to cheap, no-name Asian wholesale hubs.

i did exchange a lot of mails with him and finalized a built just told him that would place the order next week and he must have thought that i am wasting time and completely stopped replying ...since then i am also waiting for my bike r5 to come to figure out if a 23 mm width wheels would fit into the frame set ( clearance issues) so its going to be bhs 23 width rims cx rays spokes and alchemy hubs with brass nipples all black ,i guess its the best built possible for my kinda work

bluesea

by bluesea

Many who have observed the "new wheel builder" saga on the web for the past 7-8 yr, will have adapted a wait and see attitude to the latest greatest builder guru darling of the internet.