Maximum Millege for a Used Wheelset - Reynolds

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cezinho

by cezinho

Hello all

after being scammed on ebay - where I failed to buy a set of new FFWD F2R - I am back on the market from a pair of used full carbon tubular wheels.

as my budget is quite short I got some offers on used wheelsets.

I recieved an interesting offer that I would like to share with you and get your advice:
Reynolds MV 32 UL T - with all its advantages (hubs, weight and profile in the range I was looking for)

Negative thing :they are from 2010 and according to the owner, less than 12000KM - which I believe to be true.
The rim surface looks quite ok, there is a white spot that accured during a ride in the rain.

Price is attractive and it is around 700€ incl tyres.

Question is: are 12000km too much for those wheels?
I understand that it dependes a lot on the rider, his weight and how much he breaks.

what would you do?

cheers

simonanks69

by simonanks69

reynolds use internal nipples, so overtime, the rim eventually loses strength, and over time, may warp our of shape.
if its used as an everyday wheel set, it way last a year or two, but that varies on use. BAck to topic, i wouldn't personally go for the wheels since the owner may be lying about the distance covered.
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

A german online shop has the much regarded Dura Ace C24 tubulars on sale for €700. Easy to google. Just sayn'.

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

I personally wouldnt buy used carbon wheels, especially 2010, 12000km carbon wheels.
i'd be scared. You have no idea the abuse the old owner put on them and cant inspect prior to purchase because of the nature of ebay.

Thats my personal opinion.

And, a white spot from a rain ride? Suspicious.

cezinho

by cezinho

thank you for your opinions.
they all differ in the arguments but all lead to the same conclusion: not buying the wheels.

my rational says you are right, my emotional side tells me to buy the wheels.

just some additional info:
this business is not from ebay, is from a german person I know that I happen to buy him some bike stuff in the past and meantime we became "web" friends and discuss a lot of bike issues.
do I 100% trust him ? No ( I dont trust me 100%).
do I think he is lying about the KM done on the bike) NO, he doent have to, because we will sell easily the wheels with tyres for that price.
he also told me he made a wheels check up at his LBS, but he also tells me: "if you don't fell confident, don't buy the wheels"

Thank you anyway for your coments

bricky21

by bricky21

simonanks69 wrote:reynolds use internal nipples, so overtime, the rim eventually loses strength, and over time, may warp our of shape.

Thats a new one. Never heard of internal nipples causing a rim to loose strength or warp out of shape.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

simonanks69 wrote:reynolds use internal nipples, so overtime, the rim eventually loses strength, and over time, may warp our of shape.

I would like to hear an explanation to this statement.

To the OP, I think you are smart to not buy the wheels. I love the Reynolds rims, but I will admit that their braking (especially after a few seasons) is sub par at best. The ones on my cross bike started singing like a fat lady recently, even after cleaning the brake track and replacing pads.

cezinho

by cezinho

ok, everyone tells me not to, so I will put these aside.

i am now considering a pair of ZeroCX (back to my 500€ budget) with tyres.
Seroweight is the model - normal TW rim and hub but assembled in Europe.
200Km, as new, and 1200gr weight.

tyres are conti competition and Vittoria CX.

simonanks69

by simonanks69

Zen Cyclery wrote:

I would like to hear an explanation to this statement.

To the OP, I think you are smart to not buy the wheels. I love the Reynolds rims, but I will admit that their braking (especially after a few seasons) is sub par at best. The ones on my cross bike started singing like a fat lady recently, even after cleaning the brake track and replacing pads.

the pressure placed by the spoke inside the rim (compared to the conventional nipples) can eventually destroy the fibres (that is what ive been told!)
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com