2011 "old" SRAM red vs 2012 "new" decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sandico

by sandico

Sorry I am sure someone will ask if I am too dumb to know braze vs clamp--the bike is on its way to me so I haven't seen it and cannot tell from pictures what the FD attachment is. I was told by another seller it's clamp on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gospastic

by gospastic

He's telling you to get a braze-on FD and then get a separate Parlee clamp because it will be lighter.

kos

by kos

I had SRAM Red Black (or is it Black Red), and the front shifting felt like beta hardware. It was godawful.

The new stuff finally feels legit. I have the new FD, new shifters (though I regret those since the difference is minimal), and new cranks. I have Rival in back because I run a XX 32-cog cassette for long mountain endurance rides (like Death Ride), and I needed the medium cage. Everything plays nice.

Not only does the new FD shift crisply and easily (what a concept!), but I have use of all 20 gears without obnoxious rattling/chain rub.

sandico

by sandico

Since at least half our common sickness here is weight savings, it seems to me from the WW listings that DA 7900 FD and RD are nearly same or even lighter than SRAM red.

Can I get a set of 2011 SRAM shifters and just use with the DA that the bike will come with? That's the only weight savings I can see in the shifters and ders set. I am okay with mixy-matchy. Or plan B get the 2012 red FD and 2011 shifters and keep the rear DA? That way I'd get the chain rub free cross cog action.

gospastic

by gospastic

DA rear dérailleur won't work with SRAM shifters.

MarvinK

by MarvinK

I have old Red and am getting a new bike this summer. I'm trying to decide between new Red, DA9000 and DA9070Di2. I have been happy with the SRAM stuff--but the two things I appreciate most are the tactile feel when shifting and hood ergonomics. Shimano is supposed to have amazing ergonomics and made their shifting more tactile with 9000. I'm curious about trying Di2, especially since 9070 isn't so chunky looking or heavy, but I'd be waiting until late fall and think the price difference is sort of absurd.

Caad9

by Caad9

Without trying to hijack the thread, I'm also in the same position as the OP, however I'm thinking of mixing 2012 Red Shifters, FD, crankset with force rd and force/or rival brakes.

Would this work? Im assuming the force rd would work since old red rd works as well?

MarvinK

by MarvinK

Caad9: that will work great.

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

My Lynskey Helix OS has most of the new 2012 SRAM Red group set (shifters, brakes, FD, RD, cassette, and chain that I got from Speedgoat for about $1600) and the Cannondale Hollowgram SL crankset plus the ceramic PF30 BB-$900. I have no complaints after 3.5 months and a 1000 miles: awesome brakes, great front shifting, perfect rear shifting and extremely quiet cassette (drivetrain noise is quieter than wind noise to my ears) but the cables probably need to be adjusted again because there is starting to be some slight small-small chain rub. I got the 11-23 cassette and the 50/34 compact crank and needed to be in that combo once last week.

My Lynskey R330 is coming with a SRAM Force group set but I am thinking about upgrading with a couple of 2011 SRAM Red components that I bought on closeout from Speedgoat and Bikewagon (2011 SRAM Red shifters-$340, 2011 SRAM Red RD (silver)-$170, old 2012 SRAM Red stainless steel FD-$100 or new 2012 SRAM Red FD-$130).

I am still deciding between the 2012 SRAM Red Exogram GXP crankset-$330 plus the SRAM GXP Ceramic BB $170 or the Rotor 3D cranks with Q-Rings-$700 plus an equivalent GXP ceramic BB - this will decide between the two FD's that I have waiting. I have heard horror stories about the Rotor 3D-QRings shifting but my lbs is a Rotor dealer and absolutely guarantees that I will have no problems. Btw, my lbs is also a SRAM dealer.

Although I am absolutely impressed with the 2012 SRAM Red Aerolink brakes-$280, I kind of want to try the eeBrakes-$600 but the price doubling for 50 grams savings is holding me back. Once again, my lbs is also the eeBrake dealer but he has not said that the eeBrakes are absolutely better than the 2012 SRAM Red Aerolink brakes!

Lastly, although I am very impressed by the 2012 SRAM Red X-Dome cassette, the 11-25 and 11-26 cassettes both lack the 16T cog which I think I really like. So, I am thinking about trying the Dura-Ace 12-25 or 12-27 cassette and the Dura-Ace chain.

Btw, the price of the complete 2012 SRAM Red group set with ceramic BB is $2000 here.

Mark
2012 Lynskey R330 with SRAM Red Quarq
2013 Parlee Z1 with DA 9070
2013 Lynskey Helix OS II with SRAM Red

sandico

by sandico

Just scored 2012 shifters for a decent price-$450 shipped. Obviously need 2012 FD now looking on eBay saw one for $12605 shipped but missed it but will keep watching. Probably get a 2011 RD.

So drivetrain will be:

2012 Red Shifters and FD
2011 Red RD
Token cassette (swap over with my Bonty carbon tubies) can't recall but think its 11-23
Hollowgram crankset

Can I run a KMC X10SL chain with all that? Have a BNIB one I'd use out of prudence.

Also someone mentioned a nice upgraded FD clamp. Bike has DA 7900 can I use the clamp on that one or is it a single unit on DA?

Also saw a new listing on eBay for a Hi-Mod and looked like the FD clamp on it was carbon? (pic 10 of 12)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190699564225

Caad9

by Caad9

Thanks Marvin.

After reading another thread, i'm having second thoughts about getting the new red crankset. Given that I'm about 65kg (143.3 lbs), I doubt I would having any problems with the 2011 crankset. It would also save me about $150 and in the worst case scenario i can just stick praxis or sram tt chainrings on.

That would make my build:
- 2012 Red shifters and FD
- 2011 Red Crankset
- Force RD
- KMCX10Sl chain
- Rival brakes

Would there be any other places which i can further reduce costs? Any savings will most likely head towards a new set of wheels.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Caad9 wrote:Thanks Marvin.

After reading another thread, i'm having second thoughts about getting the new red crankset.

Like what?

That it's a better price/gram than SiSLs?
That it's stiff as all get out?
That it looks pretty awesome?

Seriously, what gives you second thoughts?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Caad9

by Caad9

I was just going on the basis that i wasn't powerful enough to feel the difference in stiffness between the two (even though i've cracked a few "cheaper" carbon frames in my time).

Since you put it that way, i guess I'm back on the 2012 cranks. I'm also trying to reduce costs where i can.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

This thread clarifies the weight: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730

and the Reds were already among the stiffest available bar none, now they're stiffer and lighter, and can be had at a great price. :twisted:
Win, Win, Win.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Caad9

by Caad9

prendrefeu wrote:This thread clarifies the weight: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the Reds were already among the stiffest available bar none, now they're stiffer and lighter, and can be had at a great price. :twisted:
Win, Win, Win.

Thanks mate.

Now im curious where all the other WW obtain their goodies from. Everyone seems to be able to get parts for less than i can. I'm using the usual uk suspects, is everyone else using ebay?