Tune Mag 170 & Mig 70 with Alpha 340 's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nelson

by nelson

Hi,
i am about to build a pair of wheels with Alpha 340 rims 28 rear and 24 front and Tune Mag 170 rear hub and Mig 70 front hub. I want to use 14mm prolock nipples and cx ray spokes.
I have two questions:-
1. Spoke length calculated is Rear 3 cross Drive 293, Non Drive 291. Front 2 cross 288.
Before i waste my time and money ordering the spokes does this seem right ?

2. If i use 14mm nipples should i reduce the spoke length ?

My logic says no don t reduce the spoke length ?

Thanks.

ergott

by ergott

nelson wrote:
My logic says no don t reduce the spoke length ?

Thanks.

Correct.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

Decide beforehand if you plan to use nipple washers as per Stans recommendations before deciding on a final spoke length as they are around a mm thick.

Although, I think the new revision of the Alpha 340's (if that is what you are getting) may already have a beefed up spoke bed that doesn't warrant the use of the washers.

I built mine on the old version without and they have been fine, but originally intended to use them and found the spoke lengths were on the short side if I used the washers.

Something to take into consideration at least.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I just checked the spoke lengths and those look good. The 12mm nips should do just fine too.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Maybe the wheel builders can chime in with more info but I think you will need to go with a 2X on the rear with a 28H hub.

bricky21

by bricky21

Well the rule of thumb is divide the spoke count by 9 for maximum crossings. 9 goes into 28 3 times so 3 should be the maximum crossing. Otoh I once built a 36 hole wheel with a Dura-Ace 7800 hub and an open pro rim with 4 cross and I just barely ran into the spoke heads.I'm not sure if the flange diameter plays a role in that though? Fwiw Alchemy recommends 3cross for the drive side of 28 hole ORC hubs.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

The main problem with 3x wouldst be is that the angle is too extreme and the spokes is over the flange.....

LouisN

by LouisN

I used the same parts on one of my builds, but I went 24/28h, radial front, radial rear NDS, and 2X DS (as suggested by troy Watson for NDS rear). I used Spocalc, but can't find the actual lenghts now...
Came just right.

Louis :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can go 3x on a 28H rear wheel but the hub flange has to be small enough. The left side flange is small enough for 3x I think but the right side is not. So it will be 2x for these hubs I think.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

3x on the rear shouldn't cause issues with crossing over the flange on this hub. As mentioned, if a hub had a massive flange, then 2x may be better even in a 28. With this hubset though, 28 hole 3x should be the ticket.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Considering the same components but quick query on build. I weigh 76kg. Running a340's should I stick with 24/28 or can I drop to a 20 on the front (from reviews I think 24 on the rear will be too low for this rim for my weight). Also any views on spoke lace patterns, am I better with radial on the front?

Finally, if I go for a budget build, would I see much reduction in performance/durability etc using bhs super lights?

Werdna

by Werdna

Radial on the front is going to be much easier to lace up.
I laced up a radial front wheel of mine in about ten minutes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Zen maybe right. What is the flange diameter limit them for 3x on 28H hubs?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Beancouter wrote:Running a340's should I stick with 24/28 or can I drop to a 20 on the front (from reviews I think 24 on the rear will be too low for this rim for my weight).

I weigh a little more than you and have had no problem with the old 350g rim with 24 spokes in an Alchemy Orc hub, ~10k miles. The front is an 18h. The rims weigh ~390g now. 28r, 20f should be fine... but everybody is different.

The only issue with 3x lacing and 28h is if the flange is very large you will get an acute angle where the spoke enters the rim.
formerly rruff...

sjc166

by sjc166

Hey,

I am looking at getting the same hubs for a new wheel build but i read that tune hubs cant be laced radial as it voids the warranty. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com