Is it worth getting a smaller frame to save weight?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RMcC

by RMcC

Im looking to get a cannondael supersix or supersix evo and going by there size charts in in the middle of a 50 or 52cm frame. I would normally go for the 52cm one to be safe but thought that maybe the 50cm would save a bit of weight. On there height chart I should be a 52cm but on inside leg length I should be a 50cm. What frame would people choose if you were me?

Would the weight be noticeable?

Is it more likely to be uncomfortable having a smaller or bigger frame than your meant to?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

If you look at the pros they are all on frames that are "too small" for them. With adjustments to the seatpost and stem you can make most frames work that are around your "size". They may not end up looking aesthetically pleasing, but they'll be functional. It is easier if you have smaller feet as you don't have to worry about too much overlap.

fa63

by fa63

I wouldn't say pros are all on frames "too small" for them. Most usually size down to get the saddle to handlebar drop that they prefer.

I personally wouldn't size down just to save a few grams and end up with a less than optimal bike setup.

mjduct

by mjduct

I personally go a size up on all my frames, I like the handling better, but then again I don't race and don't need ultra fast twitchy handling. I'm 5'7" and that means going with a 54 or 55 instead of 52-53. At my size I don't think it make too much of a difference in weight/ stiffness, when you get significantly taller that might be a different story.

JureC29

by JureC29

btompkins0112 wrote:If you look at the pros they are all on frames that are "too small" for them. With adjustments to the seatpost and stem you can make most frames work that are around your "size". They may not end up looking aesthetically pleasing, but they'll be functional. It is easier if you have smaller feet as you don't have to worry about too much overlap.

exactly! And c'mon... There are so many things you can save weight on... And you pick undersized frame? It's not worth it. You should feel as comfy as you could on your bike. A-a :wink:

HillRPete

by HillRPete

What are the chances that the longer stem and seatpost will be cancelling out the weight advantage of the smaller frame?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Let the dealer fit you on both sizes. (as long as they are Cannondale, they will have the same geometry except high end bikes tend to have lower steer heads). Se which looks and feels the best. I am betting you will like the smaller one since a longer stem gives more leverage and better handling. Also, the smaller is easier standover and if you are limber like me, you will need the shorter head tube.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

ergott

by ergott

I'm sure you can get the saddle in the right place on either size.

Check the stack and reach of the two. The amount of spacer under the stem needed and the stem length should determine which size is better for you.

JureC29

by JureC29

Yes, but just like @wasertreter said.... Who said, that longer stem, fork and additional spacers are going to weight less than a frame size bigger. When deciding on frame size, the weight (in my opinion) should be the last thing to consider. If you don't know which size to pick... go made yourself a professional bike fitting.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Well I wouldn't say it'd be worth buying a smaller frame size to save weight. But it might be worth a smaller size to you if you want a different fit. Like people say the pros ride slightly smaller frames to get that saddle bar drop. My brother rides a frame at least 2 sizes too small (his ISP is uncut!), and that really works for him.
I wish I had the luxury of being able to ride a frame that is too small for me; unfortunately most bike manufacturers' smallest frame is usually too big for me. I much prefer the handling and fit of the pro geometry - maybe this is something you could consider? However I don't think it's worth it if you JUST want to have a lighter frame.

53x12

by 53x12

If you are between sizes, then it would be worthwhile to take the smaller size if you can still fit properly.

But I would not purposely take a smaller size than fits just to save some weight.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

theremery

by theremery

I personally prefer slightly smaller frame sizes but it's a handling thing, not weight (an unusual statement to come from me!) as I prefer how a smaller frame descends. Depending on the model, weight savings (after seat pillar and stem deductions) may be as small as 20g so choose for reasons other than weight.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

BreakfastClub

by BreakfastClub

I tried riding a smaller frame and I felt that it worked until I sold it and bought one size up. I noticed a sizable amount in comfort, I no longer shifted around the cockpit and felt a lot better descending. I personally wouldn't sacrifice comfort for weight....you'll pay for it on longer rides.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Juanmoretime wrote:I ride a smaller frame for two reasons. As mentioned before the shorter wheel base quickens the handling and something I prefer. Second is it allows more drop so I can get my back flat. I have disc issues and a flat back decompresses my spine allowing me to ride pain free.

Sounds like you just need a good custom built frame...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com