Dimpled vs. non-dimpled 404 rim - weight difference?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

irf3

by irf3

Hey all,

I nailed a nice pot-hole racing last weekend and put a nice crack in my zipp 404 front and I'm looking for options to replace it. I have a chance to get some Cane Creek tubulars which use the pre-dimple 404 rim. I'm not sure how those hubs are but I think I would strip down the broken rim, take that hub, and build up the non-dimpled.

I'm wondering if there will be a weight penalty with this option. Does anyone know if there's a significant weight difference between the non-dimpled and dimpled 404 rims? The dimpled one I have was one of the first years, I think a 2008. Thanks for the help!

Ian

bricky21

by bricky21

How bad is the damage? Any pictures? It may be possible to have it repaired.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

irf3

by irf3

It's a centimeter hairline crack right down the brake track.

bricky21

by bricky21

If that was my cracked rim I'd be sending an email to Spyder composites ,or fybre-lyte with an attached picture to get there opinion before writing it off.

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

Did you puncture your tube in your tires as well? How fast were you going into the pothole?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Save your money, get it repaired.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by 2011

Any crack or repair that's on the brake track will EVENTUALLY start wear unevenly and warp that part of the rim, thus causing uneven braking and continued damage to the rim. It will have to be replaced anyway down the road, repair or not.

I'd suggest just changing out the front rim and don't waste your time and money researching getting it repaired.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Older Zipp rims can be lighter depending on the exact year, but they are not as strong.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.