Giant OCR C2 build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

Started building this bike up through the summer. I am 16 and this is my first carbon road bike as well as my first modern road bike.
During a ride out with my dad, the columbus drive side dropout on my steel Miele bent beyond repair. Thus I began this build.

My goal was to get as many of the components second hand as possible and with this restriction, build the best/lightest bike I could.

Components:
Giant OCR C2 frame/ fork (unkown weight)
Shimano R550 wheelset 1845
Michelin Pro Race 3 tires 220 x 2
SRAM Rival doubletap 320
SRAM Rival rd 186
6600 fd 113
7801 chain 280 (at full length)
Truvativ Elita GXP 882
Look Keo pedals 258
105 brakes 353
Giant carbon seatpost ~250
3T Zepp XL stem 135
unbranded 3T Rotundo team bars 205
Fizik microtex tape ~40
Selle Italia SLR saddle 180

Last edited by QuinnTO on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SDP

by SDP

got start of a nice build here ..good start

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Nice - wish I had started riding at your age!

Free weight loss tip, loose the 'pie plate' or 'dork dish' (The plastic fairing on the rear wheel) Take your cassette off and you'll be able to slide it right off. Few grams saved right there :thumbup:
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

Thanks for the tip.
Sadly I am stuck using quite heavy breaks still.
This frame was designed for use with long reach brakes. I had to file down the brakes to allow the pads to sit lower in the slots.

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

Some updates:
controltech ipost
Ti skewers
kool stop pads

Also lowered stem, removed 'pie plate' and washers from valves. Updates dropped about 250 g, putting me almost at 17 pounds. Still trying to reduce weight but I am running out of avenues without replacing frame or wheels. If you have any ideas, please feel free to share.

Updated pics to follow

veganeric

by veganeric

That's a hell of a lot nicer than what I was riding at 16! :thumbup:

Planet-X brakes are <$1/gram for you. That's the best suggestion I can think of.

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

That's what I have been looking at but the frame only takes long-reach brakes and I don't feel safe dremelling light weight brakes to increase the reach.
Would drop about 150 g though. All I can think of to reduce weight right now would be lighter tubes, about 100 g of savings there.

veganeric

by veganeric

Good point. It looks like a used Red crankset could drop roughly the same weight as the brakes for similar money.

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. It would probably also add a bit more stiffness to the drivetrain.

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

Here is an updated pic. A bit washed out, took it with my phone.

Weigh-in was inconclusive. I think the battery on my scale is dying. Got 16.4 pounds as the lightest and 17. 5 as heaviest.
Last edited by QuinnTO on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

QuinnTO wrote:I am running out of avenues without replacing frame or wheels. If you have any ideas, please feel free to share.

why don't you want to replace the wheels? that's where most of the weight seems to be
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

Wheels are expensive and I have university starting in September. Tuition is a larger priority at this point.
I could build up a set of 20 mm carbon tubulars from planet x for ~$500 at about 1200 g. Along with light tyres, I could save about 2 pounds. Total cost would be over $600 plus shipping and additional charges. After I earn some more money I will probably go for that, I am just fishing for ideas that I may not have thought of yet.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

$/gram, wheels are cheap. Kinlin xr-200 +bikehubstore hubs is probably under $300 for a 1300 gram wheelset. Of course this assumes you can build them yourself for free. But srsly, the best bang for your buck upgrade you can do. And then you can take it with you to a new frame/bike should the time come. If you want carbon aero stuff, yeah, you'll pay for it, but that's always the case.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

if you can get these I'd get them, its $220 and built! The hubs are unknown but the rim is the XR-200's. They also have a XR-300 version for 20$ less...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

Through local craigslist, I have the opportunity to get either a 2003 giant tcr or a 2007 tarmac. I could swap some parts onto either frame and sell my current bike for a similar price. Which is a better frame?