How much time can we save? Post all your silly aero upgrades

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

Beat my friends' creation

This
+ this

= this

I reckon this shaves off some 40 watts :thumbup:

Image courtesy to Thaimtb.com board. They are Thai cyclists. (Where am from).

Estelja

by Estelja

Any particular reason that guy doesn't have a left brake lever? Is that for aero also? I imagine that helmet tape job also functions as a weight loss device when worn in the typical 100% humidity conditions of Thailand. Kind of like a wrestler's rubber sweat suit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

this should be in the freaks topic...

Rush

by Rush

Estelja wrote:Any particular reason that guy doesn't have a left brake lever? Is that for aero also?

Because there is no front brake (for aero as well..supposedly).

ichobi

by ichobi

Aero and less weight = WIN.

Those pics are from some of the fun competition we held, (crazy bike mods parody, and fattest guys to win a lap race get goodies).

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

This thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Dalai

by Dalai

I've seen a photo of a rider I believe in the UK trying similar head and leg fairings in a TT like below, but couldn't find the picture...

BobSantini

by BobSantini

1) Drill lots of holes in the front and back of your forks and downtube and just let the wind blow straight through. It works for supersonic jets.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/hist ... ex_prt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) Humpback fin tubercles : improve laminar flow while improving both L/D and stall angle at a disproportionally small cost in drag, so maybe its time to glue some bumps on the leading edges of your forks and down tube. There's only a very small increase in drag and the sideways lift will just keep on pushing long after everyone else's has stopped. Parachutes are also effective.
http://icb.oxfordjournals.org/content/48/6/788.full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
r o y g b i v

Mikmik

by Mikmik

simonanks69 wrote:what about lying in a steel mold to mold your body in an aerofoil shape??? :shock:

Post of the year for an aero response :lol:
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

Dalai wrote:Image

That is embarrassing!!

llhh

by llhh

Mikmik wrote:

That is embarrassing!!

Absolutely not! It's a common practice amongst top triathletes to wear a fake shark's fin during the swimming shift to psychologically weaken the opponent. The poor bugger just forgot it on. Laughing at it shows just how little we cyclists know about this fine sport.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

gg333

by gg333

This thread is great :D

However I do actually have a serious question aimed at any members of the forum who use prosthetic limbs. If you have a prosthetic limb and race in a UCI sanctioned race, does it have to comply to the 3:1 ratio and are there any other regulations on them e.g weight? :noidea:

purely out of interest

thanks

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The downhiller would be so much faster on an aero road bike and deep dish wheels. :beerchug:

Mikmik

by Mikmik

llhh wrote:
Mikmik wrote:

That is embarrassing!!

Absolutely not! It's a common practice amongst top triathletes to wear a fake shark's fin during the swimming shift to psychologically weaken the opponent. The poor bugger just forgot it on. Laughing at it shows just how little we cyclists know about this fine sport.

Each to their own but there is so much more to fix before a tail fin and rear water bottle fin is thought about. I have never seen anything like that in any of my aero product research anywhere and have never even heard this mentioned. It looks ridiculous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

User Name

by User Name

When Tony Rominger achieved one of his hour records, a magazine said there was "word" that he used a low-friction, 'aero' spray on his skin and suit.
No joke. I've got the magazine here somewhere :thumbup:
Last edited by User Name on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.